Un-finished Santa Rosa laptop lineup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I think you are going to see 8600's GPU's in July, but not the 8800's.
You will know in advance because like always, DELL will get the part months before anyone else in a back door deal. Amazing, and you would think the other box builders would call foul and contact the FTC about it, but it happens over, and over again.

JayJr, I would edit your email address off your post so the bots don't harvest it and spam you to death.

MU_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I have a few more:

MSI
MS-1221 (T7100, 12.1", GMA X3100)

Dell
Latitude D630 (T7100, 14.1", GMA X3100)
Latitude D830 (T7100, 15.1", GMA X3100)

Lenovo
3000 N200 (T7100, 14.1", GMA X3100)
ThinkPad T61 (T7300, 14.1", NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M)

Toshiba
Tecra M9 (T7100, 14.1", GMA X3100

I had another question about the Executioner. When you update it with Centrino Pro, are the T7500 and X7800 going to be the only options or will you keep the T72-7600? Or are you going to offer the rest of the line up (i.e. T7100 and T7300)? Oh well, that was 2 questions, so I lied. Oh, I miss spelled Wakizachi in the line-up. I can't believe no one corrected me :lol:

I asked him the same thing in a PM and he said "I do not think the old models are going to take the 8800 cards when they come out.
We shall see what differences there are in 2 weeks when the new chassis are released".

So as of right now it doesn't look like it.

Sorry, Mark, if you didn't want that posted. If you want it removed let me know.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Awesome. You will hopefully be hearing from me around that time. Still haven't made up my mind between desktop and laptop.
Why choose? Sneak peak Killer Notebooks Odachi

The Executioner SR should take the 8800 cards. The GPU interface is being changed to nVidia's MXM IV module.

I had another question about the Executioner. When you update it with Centrino Pro, are the T7500 and X7800 going to be the only options or will you keep the T72-7600?
Wish I could, but in Intel's infinite wisdom, they have changed the socket, so the Teven's won't work. It will use a 7500, 7700, or x7800 CPU (for now, Intel is adding more later... allegedly) I can get the lower CPU's if need be.

ToalMander

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007

ldiamond

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Damn you ToalMander! Now I'm gonna have to wait even more for this laptop to come out! Its so nice!

Whats the price of that baby?

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Some people never learn, and I simply can't keep up with the foolishness anymore.
:arrow: VISTA was to be released 3 months before it actually was.
:arrow: I was promised systems in DECEMBER '06 that I am getting tomorrow (June 5th) from the ODM.
:arrow: 160 Gig 7,200 rpm hard drives were supposed to be out mid-April, which is in reality mid-June.
:arrow: 8800 cards were going be out next week, since March!
:arrow: DX-10, DX-10, DX-10... where are your DX-10 games?!!? You don't even have a viable OS to play them on since you need to have VISTA, and VISTA is total crap!!!
When are you guys going to realize that they are going to tell you WHATEVER you want to hear... but that doesn't make the time lines anywhere near realistic! You just keep feeding into the hype, and lose track of what is actually IMPORTANT about the system you buy, which is get it from someone who knows WTF they are doing and doesn't BS you!

Here's an oversimplification you can wrap your mind around so I can put this into perspective...
DOES DELL HAVE THE 8800 MOBILE CARDS?
BECAUSE DELL GETS EVERYTHING MONTHS BEFORE THE COMPETITION BECAUSE DELL DWARFS EVERY FIEFDOM IN THE "KINGDOM OF OTHER"

The "Kingdom of Other" is when you look at the PC box builder graph and see DELL, HP/COMPAQ and the big names then you see, "Other"... which is all the gaming boutique shops like KillerNotebooks, Eurocom, VooDoo, Falcon-Northwest (and I have to include the wanna be "distributors" out there that don't even build their systems). These guys combined could be something, but they are not combined... even if they were their sales are something that Mikey DELL pretty much scrapes off his boots after riding his equestrians before tea.

This, BTW this the same Eurocom that the Executioner beat down in the original Tom's Hardware review... Executioner delivers "last rites" to Eurocom.
So what's their encore? I would be happy to give them a rematch.

ldiamond

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
No1 talked about eurocom, just happens that they have a photo gallery of the Clevo 570ru.

Not many DX10 games are out right now, thats true, but in 2 years, they will all be DX10, Vista will have service packs, etc... Unless you change your laptop every 6 months, I believe its useful to be future-proof, even if it means a few more weeks of waiting.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You're so caught up in the hype.
Not many DX10 games are out right now
Name ONE that is out right now that I can go get it and play it so I can give a review on the sheer awesomeness that is DX-10.
but in 2 years, they will all be DX10
Are you upper management of Blizzard or something? Why would a game manufacturer exclusively cater to a micro cross section of the gaming community? Most of the time they actually want to make money. They might as well design for Linux, and really NOT MAKE MONEY if that is the case.

You're acting like DX-10 games won't play on a DX-9c machines, which simply isn't true. They will.
Vista will have service packs, etc...
No big service packs for MS VISTA
Service Pack 1 for VISTA may come in October/November.

It's article after article of conjecture, that is my point, they'll tell you whatever you want to hear! If Eurocom gets 8800's, WE will have 8800's, everyone will!!! But you DO NOT see DELL with them, and THEY are going to be the first ones to have them!
If you think this is weeks away, you're sadly mistaken.
Unless you change your laptop every 6 months, I believe its useful to be future-proof, even if it means a few more weeks of waiting.
Honestly, THERE IS NO WAY TO FUTURE PROOF A NOTEBOOK. You can try, and Killer Notebooks tries very hard to stretch as much as they can out for their customers, but it simply is NOT POSSIBLE to buy a notebook today and think that in 2 years you are going to be still on top of the heap. It isn't going to happen. Think of all the BS you were force fed 2 years ago, and that if you had a Pentium M 2.16 and 2GB of DDR-333 you would be set for life!
The Executioner SR should take the 8800 cards. The GPU interface is being changed to nVidia's MXM IV module.
See, no where in there am I guarantying something that is unknowable like SO MANY OF THESE GUYS. I think honesty is the best policy in business.

I know WE will have x7800 unlocked CPU's... I know that. Does Eurocom allow their customers to upgrade components to "future proof" their notebook along the way? Because as people contacted us
about buying 7900 class GPU's for their older systems from OTHER manufacturers, we told them we could get them from OUR existing customers, and ALL EXISTING K|N customers that wanted to upgrade their 7900's were able to for the cost of the difference between a 7900 and 7950 n (about $100). I would like to hear of ANY other company doing that.

Man, you guys have to realize that who you buy from determines what level of service and support you will get in the future and where the bar will be set in this... YOUR gaming industry!