Un-finished Santa Rosa laptop lineup

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jayjr8018

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
Me personally, i would rather have a notebook that i know will have the service and support from someone that actually cares about their customers. Killer|Notebooks is run by someone that wont tell you what you want to hear just to get your business. He actually tells you the truth about what is actually going to happen. To other companies, we are just a number in their statistics of people they have persuaded and scammed to buy their sub-par components for asinine prices. I'd rather have honesty and modesty then lies and cries for your business.

Oh, I miss spelled Wakizachi in the line-up. I can't believe no one corrected me :lol:
I guess because no one cares about your list? :wink:

That was uncalled for and wrong btw. Over 1300 views and 40 post. No one cares. right....

@ JayJr: the stuff you posted is exactly why I am most likely going to get an Executioner. I could buy the same thing (not really) from Sager or some other company, but will I get the fast responses and excellent support like K|N? Not a freakin chance. I read up on Sager and while they have some very well built notebooks, their support is god-awful.

@K|N: when you change to the T7500 how much will the price jump if any? I assume it will since it's superior to the T7200, but I wanna know if it'll jump a lot or just a little.

jayjr8018

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
We still love you man :D

Check out these guys - ahead of the entire planet - ETA June

http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/products/products.asp?c1=3&c2=15 :lol:

ahead of the entire planet in charging you $7000.00 excluding shipping. Add shipping from Australia, and you have a $7500.00 bill for a laptop with a desktop chip and dual 8800's that will fry in less then a week of you getting the notebook.

Thats too much of an investment for something that wont even last you a couple months at the most.

but wait.. they offer DVD-RW SPINDLE 25 Pack free Special Offer Free!.. that makes it so much funnier.

ldiamond

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
K|N, you keep refering to eurocom (you seem to hate them with a passion), but the point was simply that Clevo was to release a very nice lookin laptop... not eurocom.

Name ONE that is out right now that I can go get it and play it so I can give a review on the sheer awesomeness that is DX-10.
You're acting like DX-10 games won't play on a DX-9c machines, which simply isn't true. They will.
I'm aware of the fact that there might be no DX10 games out yet, but there definitely will. Yes, you can run DX10 games even if ur hardware is DX9c, but its just slower and eats up more CPU. Exactly like every other DX transitions in the past.

As for vista service packs, I didnt read the links u posted, but one of them seem to say there will be one in october/november, which is what I expected. Service packs or not, there will be fixes anyways.

it simply is NOT POSSIBLE to buy a notebook today and think that in 2 years you are going to be still on top of the heap

Im not expecting that a laptop will still be on top after 2 years, but it will at least still be decent and able to still run mostly every new games/apps.

I would like to hear of ANY other company doing that.
We're not arguing about that... we're just saying Clevo is releasing a nice notebook... one that K|N most likely can buy as well.

Eurocom and Sager he seems to hate. Don't take his rant personally, after all he did apologize for it. He also does make a point about DX10. Everyone is making a huge deal about stuff that hasn't come out yet and will still be useable on somewhat dated hardware.

Those laptops Toal linked are very expensive and are no different than that Sager notebook that made the same claims and STILL hasn't showed up yet. They even removed the 8800's from the list cuz guess what? They're not ready yet. I highly doubt an 8800 will make a workable appearance before July at the earliest. It is way too hot to put into a laptop yet. From what I've seen in user comments even the 8600GT runs a little warm.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Think of this for a second... we are the ONLY company actually moding heat sinks and addressing the problems you guys are talking about. Most of these other guys aren't even building the machines!

ldiamond

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Why dont you talk about these cooling mods you're making on K|N's website? I havent found it and I'd like to know what mods you're making, looks interesting.

Ah what is going on? You posted a reply on MY thread and I don't recieved a notification email? What is Tom's doing these days?

Mark: you should also show him what the heatsink mod did for Silent Bob. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw those pics! :lol:

Ely

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
You know, I couldn't help but wonder... why are not Apples new MacBook Pros here on your list? They do have the Santa Rosa you know :wink:

Because until a few days ago, I had no idea about the new MBPs. Also, no one besides you has chimed in about them. If you have a link to the information, post it and I will gladly put it on the list. I can't do it ATM, freakin finals week at school.

Ely

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
No problem. Here's the info

Apple
15-inch (2.2 GHz, 15,4", GeForce 8600M GT 128MB)
15-inch (2.4 GHz, 15,4", GeForce 8600M GT 256MB)
17-inch (2.4 GHz, 17" (1920x1200 optional), GeForce 8600M GT 256MB
www.apple.com/macbookpro/

I'm suprised that there has been so little talk about these new computers. Admitted, the upgrade was not as great as some people had hoped for but the price vs. quality ought to spur atleast Some converstaion...

Ely

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
Just thought that it would be apropriate to include those as you were making a list of Santa Rosas. Just thought that I'd add them here.
But I think that I'll shut up now, before the anti-apple people find me, I've already stayed here for too long... :twisted:

ldiamond

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Well, apple Mac Book Pro are pretty expensive for the hardware...
Thats the reason I'm not buying one. They look like nice but they cant be customized much.