Un-finished Santa Rosa laptop lineup

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ldiamond

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
SWEET!
I want it!
Where can I buy that in canada?
The 570ru I mean...
Cause im not buying from there, their pricing is crazy

jayjr8018

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
i think the 7950GTX is better then the mid-range 8000 cards.

I'd rather get the Executioner SR with a 7950GTX. and just upgrade to a 8800 later

MU_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Think of this for a second... we are the ONLY company actually moding heat sinks and addressing the problems you guys are talking about. Most of these other guys aren't even building the machines!

Know of any place with a good 12.1" notebook? I looked at your site and while the hardware looks top-notch, the smallest unit you guys carry is 15.4", which would have little chance of fitting on the teeny tiny tray tables/fold-out desks (yuck) that I have to work on when I'm not at home.

wassup30

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
First of all whoever posted the link that led me to "DreamBook Power D90 SLI" IS THA MAN!! http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/products/configure.asp?c1=3&c2=15&id=2218

Granted the computer is mad expensive maxed out 7500!!! which is really out of hand but it is the best of the best! something i am always looking for. Dual 8800GTX video cards best processors out right now Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93G 4M Cache 1066M FSB Processor i mean can you say RIDICULOUS! Raided hard drives 4 gigs of ram, display at 1920X1200.... but for 7500 it's a bit outta hand i'd honestly rather pick up eurocoms top of the line computer, performance would be roughly the same but you would save 2000 dollars.....which is tons although 5500 dollars is still tons of cash lol...biggest difference is you get dual 7950GTX video cards instead of the 8800 GTX which is big i admit, but at least you get the same processor and everything else (comp called EUROCOM D900C PHANTOM - www.eurocom.com )

But wow, it took them a while to get dual core/sli/raid with 1920X1200 but its finallly here baby and it's nice to see :)

Just thought i'd post an FYI for ppl looking for the best of the best

MU_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Those Eurocom computers are pretty steep. I looked at the 12.1" inch one, and while it was nicely-sized, US$1600 for a Core Solo U1400 machine with 512 MB DDR2-533 and a 60 GB PATA HDD is a bit nuts, even if it does have a 13,000 mAH battery that's good for 10+ hours.

I'm debating between the HP tc4400/tc2750p, the IBM x61s or x60 tablet, and waiting for the Dell Latitude D430. What would you guys recommend? I don't need anything all that powerful but it does need to be below $1500 and have an excellent battery life and be QUIET. I made the mistake of ordering a computer with a hair-dryer fan in it and it's bugged me for the last five years. I think that a tablet might be useful for helping me take notes with, but I've done okay with a normal laptop for the last five years and would get another standard laptop if I can't find a decent tablet.

Yeah, you unfortunately missed the entire part were we decide that it's a bad idea. This is the same basic laptop that Sager/Clevo has been touting for the last 3 months. Guess what happened? They had to remove the 2x8800GTXs for the list because THERE ARE NO 8800GTX cards for laptops. Right now that laptop is a "fake". It is a bad idea because think of it. Desktop CPUs generate far more heat than their laptop counter parts. In case anyone was wondering, heat and laptops DO NOT mix. Also, the main reason there are no 8800s for laptops right now is, you guessed it, heat and power. Those cards provide way too much heat so add to that the heat from the CPU and your case will literally melt around the mobo. Throw power hungry RAID arrays on top of the power hungry 8800s and you have a power brick the size of a small car. At this point you are FAR better off building a desktop. It will cost you less and you won't fry components every week from the heat build up.

I don't know about the HPs or the Lenovo's, but I have used Latitudes. They are some of the best built laptops I have seen. The case is rock solid and doesn't feel like it'll break if picked up by the corner. They are also very quiet. My school uses the D620s for our mobile computer labs.

wassup30

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
thought those dual 8800GTX's might have been a scam..but then again 7500 dollars is a good price match for that type of performance and cutting edge technology.

Looks like Eurocom's D900C PHANTOM is still king, and i know that one is no fake.

ldiamond

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Actually, u can get this exact system for much less on various websites.

Laptops with desktop chips tend to fry, take lots of juice and dont last too long.

I would recommend that laptop to someone I really hate.

wassup30

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Actually, u can get this exact system for much less on various websites.

Please do share these various websites(i hope that you can, i for one have no preference for eurocom just know they offer an amazing system).

And as for the heat thing, this laptop has 3 fans which granted might be a bit loud but is being reviewed as one of the cooler laptops out there. As for long lasting, who buys a laptop without a warranty anywayz.

One thing you simply can't deny, performance wise, which personally thats all i care about. This system is the best. This much is undeniable. Although best to some ppl might mean different things, some ppl like portability /battery life / weight all of these things for the eurocom phantom these things are less than impressive to say the least. But those are things i don't care about anywayz.

So if all you care about is performance, and you don't much care about price this laptop is definetly for you.

I can deny it only because of the claim that they use 8800s which don't exist. If it's performance is record breaking with the 7950s then you're right I can't. The 8800 part is a scam, there are no such cards.

ldiamond

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Well yes there are Geforce 8800... just not Geforce GO 8800... So they are desktop cards.... and if u put 2 desktop Geforce 8800 in a laptop, bad things happen!

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You can't put desktop cards in a notebook.

XoticPC does not build their own computers, so you might as well get it right from Sager if you are going to do that.

As far as 12.1" notebooks, whatever you do, don't get the XPS1210, I have a friend that has one and it overheats like mad. He calls DELL all the time and they do nothing for him but make excuses. What GPU would you need in a 12.1" system? I can custom build you about anything you can find.

jayjr8018

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
Wassup30, the DreamBook Power D90 SLI is the same thing as the Sager NP9260. Which can be seen here.

also it is the same thing as the Eurocom D900C Phantom

MU_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Thanks for the heads-up on the XPS M1210. I'm thinking of the following units:

Dell Latitude D420 (or 430 if it's out)
HP/Compaq tc2750p or the older tc4400
Lenovo ThinkPad x61s or x60/x61 tablet

I'm planning on buying in about a month or so. This machine to to replace a 5-year-old, 9-pound lap anchor whose GPU is just about toasted in addition to a broken CD-ROM and a few other things. I just need something light, portable, and with a good battery life to take notes with. That's why I am sort of leaning towards a tablet, but I'm not committed to getting one. Here's what I need:

1. At least 6 hours of battery life, preferably 8 or more.
2. Full-sized keyboard or pretty close to it.
3. Light weight and small size.

I don't need much of an HDD or a GPU at all, nor is CPU speed important. I'd rather have a ULV processor like the Intel U2400/500 or U7500/7600 than a full-voltage one to save on battery life and also the weight and power draw of a cooling apparatus sufficient for a normal 35-watt chip. HDD- don't need all that much, 60-80 gigs would be plenty. 30 might be a bit tight, but it'd do. RAM is also not that important, 1 GB will work just fine as I'll be running Linux and not Windows. And the GPU can be about anything, but I'd probably prefer an IGP because the laptop will not be used for anything remotely graphically intensive.