Unable to enable virtualization

Status
Not open for further replies.

axel4punk

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017
Hello guys,

I've just got this new laptop two days ago and I want to use it for college for developing purposes.

I'm talking about Asus X555QG
Specs:
8Gb of Ram
Amd FX 9800P
Amd M5 430

I want to simply use Android Studio with AVD but I can't do it because of the virtualization feature. I can't enable it from Bios because there's no CPU options in it (it's an American Megatrends bios). The weird thing is that in the task manager it says that it's is enabled, but in Speccy it says otherwise. I've even tried to run another virtual machine on Virtual Box but again, the same result, I'm not able to run it.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
Some manufacturers only permit certain advanced settings in the UEFI if an Administrator Password has been set for the UEFI.
For example, many ASUS UEFIs will only display the option to disable Secure Boot and Fast Boot (which you need to manipulate in order to be able to boot into non-Windows OSs) with the aforementioned Administrator Password.

Maybe your UEFI has a similar rule for Advanced CPU Settings.
Try setting passwords for Administrator and User in your UEFI, and see if the desired settings are now available.

If this worked, you may remove the passwords again when you are done ... otherwise you'll have to enter your Administrator Password every time you boot your machine.
To remove the passwords, simply replace...

gaius_iulius

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
Some manufacturers only permit certain advanced settings in the UEFI if an Administrator Password has been set for the UEFI.
For example, many ASUS UEFIs will only display the option to disable Secure Boot and Fast Boot (which you need to manipulate in order to be able to boot into non-Windows OSs) with the aforementioned Administrator Password.

Maybe your UEFI has a similar rule for Advanced CPU Settings.
Try setting passwords for Administrator and User in your UEFI, and see if the desired settings are now available.

If this worked, you may remove the passwords again when you are done ... otherwise you'll have to enter your Administrator Password every time you boot your machine.
To remove the passwords, simply replace them with 'empty', i.e. press Enter and confirm an empty password box.

Cheers,
Gaius

Solution

gaius_iulius

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017

The AMD FX 9800P features AMD-V, so it is capable of virtualization ... and surely ASUS would not pair it with a UEFI version which doesn't support this feature. (As a matter of fact I know of no UEFI which doesn't support VT-x and AMD-V, that should only happen with a very old BIOS.)
So there is no need to shop for another laptop, the Virtualization setting must be available in the UEFI somewhere.
It's just a matter of finding it.

popatim

Splendid
As you've said, it is easy for manufacturers to hide settings they do not wish changed. What I ment by my statement was that if the setting could not be found or changed - then another laptop that does allow this should be purchased. I never questioned the CPU not having it available.

I am actually interested in if your password suggestion works, as I've never hear that.

Status
Not open for further replies.