Unable to resolve google com

shivender

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hello,

This is my first ever forum posting so please forgive me in case my query does not comply with any norms.

I need with fixing my wife's laptop (so that you understand the focus and urgency :) )

In summary, we are not able to access www.google.com from this laptop. All other devices connected to the same network are able to do this. So the problem is with this laptop. Here are a few more facts

1. This is affecting all browsers (IE9, Chrome and Firefox) - all latest versions so this is obviously not related to any addon to a browser etc.

2. I have checked the HOSTS file and there is nothing wrong there. Infact I added an entry in the file so that this url can be resolved. Still no use.

3. I have run multiple virus and malware scans and nothing is reported.

4. I looked at the system logs (application/error etc) and there is nothing happening there.

5. I checked the router log and this machine is not sending a request only in case of this url. Every other URL works fine!!

This is a HP dv6-6108us running win 7.

I have frankly run out of ideas on what to do here.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Shiven

ksiemb

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Possibly inadvertent Antivirus or Firewall block ? - Not using a host manager, are you ?

shivender

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hi,

Thanks for your response. Here is something even funnier - The problem does not arise when I use the 64 Bit version of IE9 !! It works just fine. This is obviously not related to the firewall as I turned off the windows firewall and still it did not work.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Shivender

sillycal

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hi Shiven,

I wish I could be responding with a solution, but unfortunately I am dealing with the same issue. On a Dell desktop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. The system was infected with Malware, so system was restored to factory default. It was not resolving google.com when it was infected, so I assume it was due to the Malware infection. But now that system has been restored to Factory Default, it is still doing the same thing, it will not resolve google.com but it will resolve the IP address for google.com I am scratching my head over here & don't know what else to do. I googled of course & only your post is the current one with the same issue I have having! And I am seeing the same thing, IE 64-Bit resolves google.com but IE or Firefox do NOT! So far over 3 hours & still no solution! :cry: