unexplained fillup of HDD

Metalrocks

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014
i am writing this on behalf of my father.
he has a small HP laptop that has 20gb of space. for some reason his entire HDD is full and all he does is just surfing the net. he has no other applications installed that would take this huge amount of space away.
all he has on, are the programs that came included with win 8 when he got the laptop. i have checked under the "uninstall change programs" section but there is only the mentioned programs.

i have installed and used CCleaner that that freed up nearly 2gb of files, so as defrag but this didnt help much, but still cant work out how 20gb can be used up just like that for surfing the net. im aware that win 8 of course uses up several gigabytes but not nearly 20.

are there any applications that are by default huge HDD eater from win 8? he likes to have win 10 installed but since it requires over 8gb, its impossible to install it when he has less than 2gb free.

jasonkaler

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
typical things you can delete:
the contents of temp folder: put %temp% in the address bar in explorer. delete everything in that folder
then contents of C:\Windows\Temp
also clear browser caches. they can get pretty big.

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Metalrocks,

You can adjust the System Restore settings. Just reduce the space allocated for that. Also, you can delete previous restore points. Here's how you can do that: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5482/make-system-restore-use-less-space-in-windows-7/
Here are some more things you can do in order to free up some space: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5482/make-system-restore-use-less-space-in-windows-7/

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

Metalrocks

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014
wow. i really did not expect this OS to take up that much space. no wonder my father has hardly any space left. good thing CCleaner removed a lot of the temp files and other junk to make his laptop work a bit faster than before.

thanks for the info guys. much appreciated.

Unfortunately these $199 netbooks have very limited storage; 32GB eMMC. Some have 64GB eMMC or even a 500GB hard drive, but they cost more money. These laptops typically have a SD card slot which is the primary way to expand storage and should support 64GB SD cards. The problem is some of these netbooks do not allow the SD card to go in all the way; protruding only slightly so that if you push it in a little bit the SD card will eject. Some netbooks only allow the SD card to go in halfway or so which does not make a SD card the "ideal permanent storage expansion".

Another possible way to reduce the size of Window's footprint is to disable hibernation. Hibernation generally uses about 4GB of space if it is active, but on laptops and netbooks with less that 4GB of RAM, the amount of space it uses could be less. Click the following link to find out how to disable / re-enable hibernation.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/920730

Metalrocks

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014
my father indeed did not pay much for his. he was thinking of adding a SD card but he told me that he really uses it for surfing the net and occasionally write some documents and thats about it. the thing is, he likes to upgrade to win 10, but since this requires over 8gb, i think even the SD card is a poor choice.