'Unfriend' Named Oxford Word of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Those are all really great words for the sake of laughs. But as for serious words, it would be no fun if it was actually a serious word.

Facebook isn't that bad, as long as your not addicted....

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
"Netbook – a small, very portable laptop computer with limited memory"

Limited memory?
So if I have a netbook and put a 4GB module in it, it ceases to be a netbook?

How about "limited computing power"?

slapdashzero

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
So 2009 is the year of the portmanteau, eh? It almost seems a little bit sad, really, that there aren't really any "new" words per se, just horrible, seemingly teen-speak inspired mashups. The linguist in me weeps.

precariousgray

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
The fact that "unfriend" has been made the word of the year can only be described as doubleplusbad.

I, for one, do not welcome our Newspeak-speaking overlords.

G

imho, slang and technical terms really need to be in their own dictionaries. They should not be grouped together with words that represent the official American English language. The definition for 'unfriend' is a friggin' Facebook advertisement, for Pete's sake.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Lol, never heard of unfriending someone. Guess remove friend is too long. Of course I don't use facebook, so it's probably because of that.

Ah well, guess in 20 years, the only words left in the dictionary are words that didn't exist 10 years ago.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Ah Americanism, the bastardisation of the English language. If the Oxford American dictionary biggest announcement is the inclusion of a nonsensical word, surely they need to fine new employment...

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Zoonie[/nom]'Teabagger' was something TOTALLY different in my book.[/citation]

i don't think they are halo fans, or play video games at all.lol

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]socrates047[/nom]i don't think they are halo fans, or play video games at all.lol[/citation]
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Teabagger in no way refers to the boston tea party.. We've *gamers* have already laid claim to that word, so nice try, but um no.[/citation]

You guys have totally missed the sexual version!

"Teabagger:
1. n. A man that dips his scrotum and testicles into the mouth of another person. (as if dipping a tea bag into hot water) "

G

Sorry kingnoobe, but Teabagger was used long before you "gamers" laid claim to it.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
The nerds at Oxford probably do know abou teabagging, mostly because plenty of them are avid gaming nerds. Warwick students are worse though...

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
if sexting is writing a message with sexual content, what would it be if you sent a perfectly normal message while having sex?

textgasm?

here's one for tomshardware: tommyfied, one addicted to toms.

Status
Not open for further replies.