uninstall bloatware lenovo G510

wisegirl

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014
Hi,
I just got a lenovo G510, win 8.1. How do I identify bloatware and uninstall them? It came with McAfee, should I remove this? Nitro pro( adore PDF alternative), Microsoft office trial, cyberlink power2go.
Will appreciate any help with recommendations of best free antivirus ( if needed) and antimalware. Don't mind buying a very good one though.

Thanks

geofelt

Distinguished
Okay remove McAfee, reboot, download from www.filehippo.com AVAST! or AVG for Antivirus, or you can try Panda which is still highly successful when tested by independent labs. All are Free to use. Install malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org and manually run a scan every week to every month.

DO NOT rely on Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE which replaced Defender) as it is VERY BAD at protection.
You can download from Adobe their Reader for PDF Files, as PDFs are as common as Word Documents when you interact with people / business / government out side of your home.

Now to WORD and Microsoft Office, If your a student you can get a discounted copy instead and remove the trial one, but I would honestly say it is time you buy into Office, WAYYYYY time. Everyone uses these file formats (99.998 % of all Documents, Spreadsheets, etc.) and you can only get 100% absolutely compatibility with the Office suite. Now there IS alternative optional planning if you don't wish to cough up for the cost of Office, there is Office 360 which is Online based and has different monthly plans to allow you access to the ONLINE versions to edit Word Documents, etc.

While Google has a built in viewer for DOC, PDF, etc. as I said it only VIEWS it, you can't edit it in any way without Office. There is 3rd party freeware 'Office Suites' which are 'Office Compatible', but that is based on NOT using alot of the built in features of Office, like Macros, Virtual Data (pulled from a server or database,) etc. that all is built into common Office files we get (like for exampel your paystub or vacation status would 'pull' form the HR server the exact specifics).

Last bunch of computers I viewed really didn't have the "BLOATWARE' people got upset about (rememebr AOL?) anymore, just the normal 'trialware' which you don't have to do. Remember also, if your just bothered by the 'desktop icons staring at you' just delete them, they won't delete the program or damage the computer in anyway removing them, but then you wont' have them staring at you if they bother you so much.