United States Leads Global Malware Infections

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]This doesn't come as a surprise considering the level of tech knowledge your average American PC user possesses. I'm American myself, but I'm even admitting that I agree these figures seem accurate. People these days just aren't educated about using safe browsing habits.I've been using no anti-virus at all for over 5 years now, and zero infections to date. Even if I did get one, it's a lot of fun figuring out what makes it tick and removing it manually.[/citation]

If you have been using not protection:

1. You are infected! (unless your running linux or OSx)
2. How do you know you are not infected...(unless your running linux or OSx)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]thebigt42[/nom]If you have been using not protection:1. You are infected! (unless your running linux or OSx)2. How do you know you are not infected...(unless your running linux or OSx)[/citation]

define infection?

a harmless cookie that gets flagged as something that will r____ your computer?
a real piece of adware?
a real virus?
or a rootkit?

personlly i don't consider a computer infected till at least the browser is hijacked by something. or some thing pops up out of nowhere to warn you of possible infections unless you buy their software.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
The first part of this article is based on infections per country, and the second part is based on infections per 1000 PCs... so how are we supposed to get a clear picture here? am I now supposed to go search online how many PCs there are in the US and Brazil and calculate for myself how many PCs/1000 are infected in the US? TH please sort this out, every other article on this site seems to be written by a person with mental disabilities.

fordry06

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]define infection? a harmless cookie that gets flagged as something that will r____ your computer? a real piece of adware? a real virus?or a rootkit?personlly i don't consider a computer infected till at least the browser is hijacked by something. or some thing pops up out of nowhere to warn you of possible infections unless you buy their software.[/citation]
You do realize that there are botnets that use viruses to infect systems and not make their presence known just to be able to use your computer for whatever that botnet wants to do(usually stuff like spam or denial of service attacks) and you won't know a thing unless you scan for it....

G

Alidan I see your point and also find the pointing out of grammar flaws in forums to be tiresome. I know that people out on the web have varying levels of education and varying levels of comfort with the English language. I don't hold it against them. I'm not a stickler for grammar ordinarily. In fact, I've never even posted a comment on an article on Tom's ever and I've been visiting here for about two years.

I do feel, though, that a journalist, someone who writes for a living or at least gets paid to write, should be held to a higher standard. The mistakes in this article are that of an elementary school student; the writing skill is below that of a 4th grader, which is the level that most newspapers are written at. It is distracting to the point of making Tom's look bad.

To pull a quote from the "About Us" link at the bottom of the page, "Since 1996, Tom's Hardware has been one of the most trusted computer technology publications." I agree with that statement and feel the actual hardware articles published here are great. I like Tom's and want it to succeed. With every article like this one that's published here, though, a bit of that respect is chipped away.

hongwenzhangwedge

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
And the statistics keep growing. It's true that 2011 is turning out to be the "year of the breach", and US consumers are beginning to stand up and take notice. While faith in the online security environment has been nearly shattered, these breaches provide some respite of hope as they illustrate the importance of ensuring network layer Data Leakage Prevention (DLP) for service providers, to prevent the outflow of user data. Our company, Wedge Networks has focused on building such solutions for years, and is leading efforts to prevent good things from flowing out, and bad things from flowing in.

Status
Not open for further replies.