Solved! universal CD player file formats?

OuttaGas

Estimable
May 21, 2016
Do all CD players support .wav, .aif and .cda file formats?

I want to know this so I can give people audio files that they’d be virtually guaranteed to be able to play, no matter what device they want to play them on.

Solution
use a .wav file, in the format I mentioned. Burn it as a audio CD. it will play in anything you can put a CD in. I am a recording engineer. been doing this since the late 90s. This will give you the results you need.

harrisjb78

Commendable
Mar 5, 2017
.wav is a container format for Windows.
.aiff is Apples version of this.
.cda is the basic cd audio format when stored on audio CD's
(They are basically the same thing just different dependent on where they are viewed/stored)

.cda is supported in all as that is the same as buying a CD off the shelves (as long as it is CD/R capable)

OuttaGas

Estimable
May 21, 2016

No matter what device they want to play them on. CD player, computer, whatever. I want a universal file format that will play on anything that can play audio files on a CD.

OuttaGas

Estimable
May 21, 2016

Does this mean that anywhere where files with any one of these file name extensions will play, files with either one of the other file name extensions will also play?

And would this .wav / .aif / .cda file format indeed be the most universal?

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
use a .wav file, in the format I mentioned. Burn it as a audio CD. it will play in anything you can put a CD in. I am a recording engineer. been doing this since the late 90s. This will give you the results you need.

Solution

OuttaGas

Estimable
May 21, 2016
OK, thanks for the info. .wav files it is then, and also thanks for the tip on CD-RWs, I'll have to grab some CD-Rs. Great going. guys. Prompt, too! Thanks again!

What you want maybe impossible.

While modern CD players should play MP3, I have no idea if universal to you applies to CD player made, say, in the 1990s.

Actually if you want universal, you wouldn't give somebody a CD, you will simply MMS or email him a MP3, NOW THAT, is universal as it can get.