Unknown PCI device

Kostis

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Hi guys,
so I'm planning to buy a used laptop - ASUS K55VJ (I know, most of you you don't recommend buying used laptops and etc.) with a warranty of almost six years, so I wasn't too anxious about it until today. I've met the guy and took my eye on the laptop, which was surprinsigly nice. Everything seemed as it should be, but one thing caught my eye. In the device manager, under the Display adapters' tab there was only one of them - Intel HD4000. However this laptop has a GF GT635m. More to that, there was a section, called Unknown devices, in it there were three devices, all of them being the same unknown PCI device. Is this a problem to consider? Or is it a driver problem - I assume they haven't been installed as the guy has reinstalled Windows just today. Or maybe the PCI device is not a GPU at all?

Solution
"Is this a problem to consider? "
No... all those are the GT635m peripherals.... once you install the drivers they'll all get back to normal.
Yes, most probably that was a reinstall or setback to factory defaults and since the GT635m hasn't been activated because of some game or the external hdmi output it didn't self install.

houldendub

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Have you tried installing drivers directly from Nvidia?

On their www.geforce.com site, there's even an "auto-detect" program which should give you the correct drivers, give this a try.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
"Is this a problem to consider? "
No... all those are the GT635m peripherals.... once you install the drivers they'll all get back to normal.
Yes, most probably that was a reinstall or setback to factory defaults and since the GT635m hasn't been activated because of some game or the external hdmi output it didn't self install.

Solution

Kostis

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

I haven't as it was just a look-at. I asked the guy to install all the drivers though.

Shaun o

Distinguished
Yes to me it looks like the driver for the Nvidia card is not installed.
That is why it is listed as an unknown device.

Your better off going to the maker of the laptops website support page for the driver for the Nvida card.

It could be a customized or tweaked driver to run with that laptop.
A normal driver from the Nvidia website may not work, or it may fail to detect the card in the laptop.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Come on people....... these are laptops with 2 gpus..... one is used when you're doing normal stuff that does not require high def graphics aid to save power and processor resources, the other comes on only when you start doing heavy stuff that runs on the gpu..... get it.... there is no auto checking for which driver is needed, there is no better off going to the laptops website and there is no freaking customs or tweaked driver for such stuff.... it's a plane simple easy to use off the shelf laptop.
You can install the drivers only once the gpu comes on and is detected you can't for the first time just install this stuff...... it's like feeding an already full baby..... it'll just not accept it.