Unknown User Access

chugot9218

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Hello all,

I have a colleague that believes someone has been accessing his work PC while he is away, he tried to log in remotely from home and found that another user was currently logged into the PC. It is his personal PC at work and should not be accessed by anyone else outside of the IT staff, and when he contacted them, he was told that no one was on his PC, although that would appear false. It certainly looked to him as though someone was actively logged into his PC and he is a bit ruffled that the IT staff would not be aware or would not alert him. I know keyloggers are available for this type of monitoring, but is there other software that will provide other intrusion monitoring/detection beyond simply key logging? There is no malicious intent by my colleague, he simply wants to ensure no one else has any malicious intent. Ideally, it would run in scheduled windows or he would activate it Ad-Hoc, as he does not need it running while he is in the office using his PC.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

bluhefner

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Does he have a camera? easiest way to find out i belive. Just keep the camera on during the night and your problem is solved.

chugot9218

Honorable
May 8, 2012
He does not currently have a camera he could use there, I was thinking that as well, however, I was hoping it could be more discreet than that, especially if we resorted to plugging in a webcam or something. I will consider that, although I would still prefer to go the software route if anyone else has suggestions.

chugot9218

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Ahh, I was thinking there may be a Windows logging option, I am not entirely sure he has administrator privileges though, do you think this will be an issue?

In response to you Bluhefner, I was thinking something along those lines, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, I would prefer to go the free route but understand a small purchase may be necessary. Especially with these kinds of programs I feel like I should be pretty careful about what I download/use.