Unlock a Slot1 p3

D33

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
i'm sorry,but all PIII katmai's have a locked multiplier.
if you are looking for a way to overclock, i would recommend the pin 1A method, you could learn more about it in a previous tom's cpu guide post.
or an easier way will be to raise your fsb a bit.

Arrow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's right. All these Intels are multiplier-locked, and the most common way would be to raise your FSB.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Im tring to do exactly the same thing
I have a 450mhz Katami chip
Ive increased the fsb to 124mhz and it runs fine (no crashes)

If i increase to 133mhz then the pc boots and loads windows runs for a minute or so then crashes. I think this is due to excess heat on the external cache.
Id rather use 133mhz as i have 133memory and my mobo has a 133mhz mode so that the pci isnt ovrclocked.

Would a heatsink on the cache help ?
or is 124 as high as it can go?
id realy like to get it to 600mhz and i dont mind doing fairly radical things to the chip as im upgrading soon anyway. Ive allready covered pin 14A with some tape to allow 133mhz fsb.

and help would be greatfully recieved

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a P3 450 katmai running at 657mhz 2.3 volts. The s code is SL35D with 4.4ns cache chips. I use the Alpha 3125??( I belive this is the right number)with a copper spacer for the cache chips. Ran it at 600 for a year and a half and about 6 months now at 657.
First thing I did was to remove the plastic back casing.
If your motherboard dose'nt support voltage changes cover a-119,b-119 and a-121 to get 2.2volts. This should be enough to hit 600.
If you have a BX chipset board the AGP bus will run at 89mhz so a good videocard is needed.

I aint signing nothing!!!

G

Thanks allot for the promp reply, ill certainly try covering those pins to up the voltage.
I think i might just glue an old athlon cooler onto the cpu using arctic silver adhesive, and maybe something similar on the cache.
Im glad to hear that yours went to 657 as that gives me some hope mine will get to 600.

D33

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
an athlon cooler could do just fine.....but i would recommend the JB-wield instead of the arctic [-peep-], it passes on heat more efficiently.
and good luck!

Crashman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I use JB-weld on all my modified video cards, it's great stuff! When I went from past to JB weld on a few cards I could actually FEEL that it was passing heat better!

Or to put it this way, if the chip is hot but the heatsink is warm, the paste is not doing it's job. But if the chip is warm and the heasink is just as warm, your good to go. With JB weld my heatsink feels MUCH warmer with the chip at the same temp. Which means it's doing it's job of transfering heat. Switching to JB weld has given me up to 10% better max overclock speeds, do to more effective cooling.

Oh, it's also great for patching up cracked castings-I even repaired a clutch cable stop with the stuff! And I know a mechanic who filled a crack in a DIESEL CYLINDER HEAD CUMBUSTION CHAMBER with it and swears the engine still works after 10 years!

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

I tried the chip at 600 with 2.2 volts (covering pins as you said) but it wouldnt boot at all. This was worse than at 2.0v. This makes me think that the chip or cache is getting too hot (im still using the stock heatsink) Although the mobo temp monitor says its at 35 degrees. The heatsink is warm but not hot. Where is the sensor for the temperature measurment ? and could this value be innacurate.
Is there something else that could be causing it not to overclock more. The memory is PC133, the pci is at 33mhz and i think the agp is at 66x2 (although im not sure) so its probably not a bus speed problem. I have a geforce 3 so id expect it to take a higher agp speed anyway.

if i wanted to cool the cache how should i do it ?

Thanks for any help

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I use a copper spacer. Just a small sheet of copper between the cache chips and the alpha cooler which is the length of the cpu pcb. If you are using a socket 370 style cooler on the cpu try a second one on the cache chips or an old pentium cooler cut in half.

I aint signing nothing!!!