unlocked iPhone 5c Verzion is the carrier, want to use with Straight Talk or another carrier

cindalouw

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014
I purchased an unlocked iPhone 5c from eBay to use with Straight Talk. Straight Talk is telling me is will not work. Can anyone help me get this phone to work or should I return it? So frustrating!

Solution
"Straight Talk offers a variety of prepaid, no contract, phones on their website for use with their plans. Straight Talk also allows customers to bring a T-Mobile GSM phone or an unlocked domestic GSM phone to Straight Talk or NET10 by buying a SIM card and air time from the company. This program does not work with Blackberry and branded Straight Talk, SafeLink, TracFone and NET10 phones. The program does not work with phones designed to work on CDMA networks such as Verizon's due to incompatibility issues between CDMA phones and GSM networks. However, there are specific phones available from Straight Talk that use Verizon's network. The list of compatible phones with the program includes the iPhone Family, Nokia Lumia Family, LG...
"Straight Talk offers a variety of prepaid, no contract, phones on their website for use with their plans. Straight Talk also allows customers to bring a T-Mobile GSM phone or an unlocked domestic GSM phone to Straight Talk or NET10 by buying a SIM card and air time from the company. This program does not work with Blackberry and branded Straight Talk, SafeLink, TracFone and NET10 phones. The program does not work with phones designed to work on CDMA networks such as Verizon's due to incompatibility issues between CDMA phones and GSM networks. However, there are specific phones available from Straight Talk that use Verizon's network. The list of compatible phones with the program includes the iPhone Family, Nokia Lumia Family, LG Phoenix/LG Thrive, HTC Inspire and Motorola Atrix 2"

Doesn't seem it will work.

Solution

aepalisades

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014
Straight talk does work with verizons Iphone5, 5c, or 5S, but not on Verizon's network. You can use it on att or tmobile towers on straighttalk) Straight talk with verizon service will however work with Verizon's Iphone 4 and 4s.

see link for addition info:
http://smartphonematters.com/using-a-verizon-iphone-5-with-straight-talk-wireless/

I have a Verizon iPhone 5 that I want to switch over to Straight talk. I already have the micro sims card and an activated iPhone 4s though Straight talk. I have called numerous times and I keep being told I can’t switch it over, but reading these posts make me believe I can. So how do I do it? Is there specific steps I have to do or what. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Katie,
Yes, you can use your Verizon iPhone 5 with Straight Talk Wireless. Let me try to explain clearly.

Your Verizon iPhone 5 has a SIM slot on the side and you can use either Straight Talk’s AT&T network-compatible SIM or Straight’s Talk T-Mobile network-compatible SIM. In most cases, Straight Talk’s AT&T network-compatible SIM is the better choice, as long as you check to see if the AT&T network has reasonable service where you live, work, or use your phone most. You can check the AT&T web site for coverage maps, but I also recommend you ask family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues if they are using AT&T and if it works well in your area.

You mentioned you already have some micro SIMs. The iPhone 5 uses a nano SIM. Your micro SIMs are too big fit in your phone. You can either buy a nano SIM, or cut the micro SIM to fit. For more details about the SIM, see:

Straight Talk Wireless and Net10 Wireless Are Both Selling Nano SIMs Online

Straight Talk Wireless Is Selling Nano SIMs in Now!

The Smartphonematters SIM Cutting Guide

Asian6773

Estimable
Feb 27, 2015
I also did the same thing and purchased an unlocked Verizon 5c iphone from eBay. I was unable to set it up also. Even though on the website I lunched in the serial number and it said it would work. Finally getting ahold of a rep, I was told that straight talk can not use a verizon 5c iphone. They can only set it up through ATT. That was a bummer for me.. So I ended up buying an AT&T one.. Since then I've had no problems. It's really nice having to only pay $46.95 total for my phone bill

Christina_1

Estimable
Sep 2, 2015
I see that you were able to but an unlocked iPhone and use it on straight talk. My daughter wants one and we have straight talk. We were planning to but an unlocked one on eBay or something but I'm scared it won't work and will be a waste of money. Can you please tell me what exactly I need to do to make sure I get one that will work with Straight Talk?? Like what do I need to look for when finding one to but??