unlocking multipiers or Uping the FSB

rcf84

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well since you can unlock Athlon miltipiers what is better. Changing the jumpers for highier clocking. OR increase the FSB for more bandwith. If i had to overclock it seems the FSB looks alot better. Maybe im wrong if im wrong some show me some benchmarks.

The only nice Intel guy.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
balance.

If your system can run stable at the higher FSB - go for it, you get better memory bandwidth.

Get the system as high as you feel is stable and safe (cool enough). 1 1Ghz 100FSB system is slower than a 1Ghz 133FSB system...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Crank your FSB up to 149mhz with a IBM 6.4gig hard drive, and watch your computer crash. Now crank your FSB up to 149 with a DLTA 45gig hd, and watch it respond like ata100 even though you're running ata66.

I've swapped out vid cards, and hard disks. The components matter when you are cranking your FSB.

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hopefully a little more useful:

increase the FSB as far as it can go (your PCI cards may limit you as well as RAM). Remember to unlock the CPU 1st and keep the clock a @ aprox. factory setting: FSBxMultiplier.

Then increase the Multiplier as high as you can.

!!!Note: use a good heat sink, monitor your temp and OH YEAH increase your voltage to 1.85!!!

Check this out:

<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/mainboards/msi/kt266pro/" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/mainboards/msi/kt266pro/</A>

Yeah it's for DDR but it relates. Hopefully your memory is good: Corsair Rocks!!!

<b><A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com/" target="_new">How fast is your PC</A></b>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, actually combinations of both is better but it takes a bit for both.
overclocking your FSB needs that your memory should be able to run at that speed, plus all your peripherals should be able to do so. since the PCI and AGP (and even ISA) buses run on a fraction of the FSB, they too are overclocked when you increase your FSB.

now FSB offers higher premium over increasing multiplier because the CPU does run at higher speed, but it also has greater memory bandwidth.

overclocking with multiplier should be done when you have tested your system to run at higher FSB and approved of its stability. while doing that you might need to lower the multiplier (and again, run the cpu at rated speed) to make sure its not the cpu thats stuttering.

now that you have a stable system, try increasing the multiplier one step at a time. you might need to increase the core voltage if the system becomes unstable or doesnt boot. you might also need to use better cooling gear since processors running higher than their rated speed tend to produce much more heat.

best of luck with your overclocking...

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The BEST choice? Buy an AXIA 1000/100 (200) and use bus speed to overclock it.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Run your fsb and memory interface in synch in each case ! If you have a 100 Mhz fsb, you will get much better results running it 133, even if you have to decrease your mulitplier. Aces did a nice review on this, when he tested the KT133A (I presume you have a board based on this chipset).

As for going beyond 133.. personally I prefer to run my PCI, AGP and memory at standard speeds.. makes trouble shooting that much easier. For me, its simply not worth the little bit of extra speed. But, if you it doesn’t scare you, the higher the fsb, the better the performance (although beyond 133 you’re likely only to see improvements in benchmarks, like Sandra, but not any realworld performance to speak of)

rcf84

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm... i dont have an AMD system. I was just wondering what better mutlpiers or FSB.

The only nice Intel guy.

G

It depends on whether you want to take the risk and unlock the mulipliers. Some people are too scared to start writing things on their chips. Plus, if you remove your heatsink - MAKE SURE YOU PUT IT ON AGAIN correctly, otherwise, ut-oh. Not that I have any grudge against AMD.

Combinations of both are best. As they say, all things in moderation. If you have a 1000MHz (100MHz x 10) Thunderbird, you're more likely to achieve 1.2GHz at 110MHz x 11 (1210MHz) than you are by trying 100MHz x 12, or 120MHz x 10. I'm not saying these combinations won't work, but they're more difficult to achieve. Generic PC100/PC133 will usually overclock by 10MHz, but 20MHz? You're pushing it.

Equally your graphics card is much more likely to with AGP @ 73.3MHz than AGP @ 80MHz. However, your chip may not be able to handle a multiplier of 12. (for example).

My most successful overclocked system at the moment (it never locks up!) is a 1200MHz Thunderbird (12 x 100MHz) at 13 x 116MHz = 1508MHz. Not huge, but I get around 15% more sysmarks.

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~