Unlocking X II 555 problem

budgetballer

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Hi guys I'm having trouble and wondering if you could help me. Like an idiot I flashed my mobos bios when it didn't need to be. Initially when I setup my computer I was able to unlock my 555 to a B55 and all four cores were enabled. But when I tried to install windows it would fail or freeze so me being the smart person I am never thought of upping the voltage a step. So I turned of unlock cpu core and installed windows as a dual core and for some reason I updated my msi 890gx g65 mobo and after I tried to unlock cores but it wouldn't even post no beep or nothing so I cleared the cmos and now I'm typing this. I don't know what bios version came with my mobo so I'm really mad right now. And if anybody can help me get my 2 cores back that would be really great :/

rolli59

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
If I understand this correctly then you were unable to install windows with the cores unlocked! That points to one or both of them being bad in the first place which could be the reason it was sold as an X2. Try unlocking one at a time.

Leaps-from-Shadows

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Okay...

You assembled the computer.
Unlocked the cores.
It wouldn't allow you to install Windows with unlocked cores, so you installed as a dual-core.
Updated BIOS for whatever reason.
After update, cannot unlock cores -- it won't even boot.

Is that correct?

You want the two cores back? The ones that caused the Windows install to fail and freeze? The ones that you don't know for sure will work at all?

I'm assuming you've tried going into the BIOS to increase the voltage, then save and exit, and going into the BIOS again to unlock the cores. I'm also assuming you've tried unlocking only one of the disabled cores at a time.

If you believe the BIOS update is keeping you from unlocking, you can always "update" to an older BIOS.

Just so you know, there are three possible outcomes to this, in order of most likely to least likely:
1. None of the cores unlock successfully.
2. One core unlocks successfully.
3. Both cores unlock successfully.

budgetballer

Distinguished
May 15, 2011

Ill try updating to the newest and then increase the voltage but it would start the installation process but freeze after the initial file loading when the screen is black and grey loading bar. But right now I have a 4ghz Oc is that normal? My could temps were pretty low but I don't think it's stable because 3dmark froze and prime force closes when I try to torture test and I was at 1.464 voltage I believe it was still on auto

And you understood what I meant thanks

Edit: I rebooted and now prime is running and I'm getting 33*c on two cores so far

budgetballer

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Looks like I have a triple core cpu I tried unlocking individually and the 4th core won't let me start up windows. I can start up windows with 3 cores on auto voltage which was 1.47 I believe. Would I gain a lot of performance with the 3 cores overclocked or should I go with a 4ghz dual core setup?

rolli59

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007

It depends on what you use it for, more speed fewer cores means faster in single threaded applications vice versa 3 cores better for multi threaded applications.