Unreal Engine 3: A Bad Choice for Midway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Isn't this the company that tries (or plan to) to sell game ending for $20 instead of including it in the game?[/citation]
You're referring to Epic Games who had the (probably half-hearted) idea of selling the game ending.

Epic Games developed the Unreal Engine technology, which Midway licensed for its own purposes. Clearly this didn't work out favorably, and Midway doesn't seem to be alone in its problems as other developers, such as Silicon Knights, have also complained about the UE3 technology.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I may actually put mortal kombat on my wishlist for christmas, just to make sure it at least isn't my fault they go away. I played the first mortal kombat on my amiga 500, and bought the second one (first game I bought at full price on release day) as well .... kinda skipped paying for followups ... so perhaps it's time to invest in that company again! Don't want another esteemed developer put up the white flag, or be assimilated by ea and then killed.
Soo many nice games never saw sequels because of developers gambling on the wrong strategies.... dungeon keeper, drago, high octane, super frog ... all those nice titles that could use another version but can't get it because the ip is 'lost'

G

Well, that's one company I won't be missing. Besides MK (and I'm not even fan of the series), can't remember a single GOOD game this company has made. If they are going down, it´s because the crappy games they make, not the engine they use.

G

if they go down let em, one shitty developer down the drain no problem there :D

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I don't think the problem is the Unreal 3 Engine. There is a terrific base there. The problem is how poorly Midway utilized it. Do you hear the developers of Assassins Creed, BioShock, or GRID complaining? Ofcourse not because they used the engine well.

Out of all the Shader 4.0 engines, Unreal 3 is probably the easiest to manipulate and work with. Offset and Crytek still suffer from issues that are already addressed in Unreal 3.

I think the blame lies more with the company as many companies would prefer to get a new hire out of college rather then a 5 year veteran. The delays are obvious as they have to train employees, and many out of college lack the dedication to complete a game.

G

Honestly Unreal had a really great shot being an industry leader. Their first release was literally unreal. Tourny was great too. But I must admit when Unreal2 was released I lost interest in the Unreal products. Shamelessly I held on to hope for Unreal 3. It is obvious from the quality of their products that they operate under conventional buisness practices that the following statment is true. Rather than compete in a market where college students dominate and young blood thrive, both as developers and consumers, that game giants like EA and Midway choses death over profit.

In my experiance the more marketing is involved the lower the quality of the game. Marketing impacts release dates, rushes products to the shelf and drives paying customers to other products.

The best thing that can happen for the gaming industry is for giants to crumble so the competative developers have larger shares of the profit pool and can finance larger operations with the same emphasis on quality and playability.

"Let the economy burn, I'll be here to pick up the peices."

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]stemnin[/nom]the Wii is a virus.lmao.[/citation]
It is.

Let's hope we don't end up with all the next gen consoles being underpowered, with gimmicky peripheral laden controllers, where the majority of the games being developed for the consoles are mini-game collections. Not totally Nintendo's fault on this one, but it's a necessary evil if gaming is to survive.

G

what nintendo needs to do for their next console... is have the gimmicky peripheral laden controllers... and really beef up the graphics... as soon as nintendo delves into TRUE HD quality graphics... they'll constantly be considered the "virus" just imagine COD 5 on the Wii with good graphics... could be absolutely amazing... but then again it might not be

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Then Unreal 3 engine does have some glaring problems, you especially see this in Mass Effect. Texture Popping, lights appearing through objects, etc.

The blame is really a mix of engine, developers and the people in charge.

G

falchard - "Do you hear the developers of Assassins Creed, BioShock, or GRID complaining?"

Actually yes I do. The developer of Bioshock said that it was the worst decision they had made, it was something that cost them too much hassle, time and money.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Grid's a good game - it just runs shitty on older hardware, and there ain't enough stock car action imo.

[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Well, that's one company I won't be missing. Besides MK (and I'm not even fan of the series), can't remember a single GOOD game this company has made. If they are going down, it´s because the crappy games they make, not the engine they use.[/citation]
Well many developers are like that u know. Valve only made one good game (series) too, so did bullfrog (gone), berthedesta and a bunch of others. Bluebyte, 3do and a bunch more only made two known game series.

My point is - even if they 'only' make mortal kombat, they deserve to live thru making one mistake. Sierra and electronic arts made many mistakes, but didn't give up either. And one of them is rather big now.

Status
Not open for further replies.