Solved! Unresponsive MacBook can’t turn on

Jul 1, 2018
Late 2009 MacBook keys, trackpad and power button unresponsive. The laptop is on sleep but I can’t get it to ‘turn on’. Any suggestions?

It was off and I had to open up the back to jump start the laptop to turn on. I noticed all the keys worked except the space bar. The laptop then went idle, sleep mode, and I can’t get it back on.

Solution
Typical symptoms of failing keyboard as the power button is attached to it. Happens a lot if the keyboard gets wet.
Jumpstart it again and see if it functions normally with a USB keyboard attached. If it does then you need to replace the keyboard. I have done a lot of them but it is a bit of work and you need to be careful. See Ifixit for guides and tools needed.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Typical symptoms of failing keyboard as the power button is attached to it. Happens a lot if the keyboard gets wet.
Jumpstart it again and see if it functions normally with a USB keyboard attached. If it does then you need to replace the keyboard. I have done a lot of them but it is a bit of work and you need to be careful. See Ifixit for guides and tools needed.

Solution