Update Dell Laptop bios without battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2018
My friend has Dell Inspiron 15R-5521. It says battery not charging. But battery is not dead. So I tried to update BIOS, which might help. But because of no battery, I couldn't update the BIOS. I even tried to update the BIOS by CMD with /forceit. But it also didn't work. Please give me some other working methods.

Solution

Hi, updating your BIOS in your situation will do nothing to charge the battery. You have changed the cells in the battery, but on the printed circuit of the battery you have a chip with the characteristic of the old cells, the chip does not have the characteristic of the new cells. This is the reason why the new cells do not charge in the...
Try charging the battery when the laptop is off. Not sleep or hibernate, but actually turned off.

If it will charge then, but not when on, then the charger is your likely problem and it needs to be replaced. If, however, it won't charge the battery even when the laptop is turned off, then your battery is the more likely culprit.

Updating the BIOS won't help with these.

Mar 31, 2018

I tried different chargers. It still didn't charge. BIOS says ,"No Dell battery detected". But it is actually a dell battery. And the cells were worn out. So I replaced the 18650 batteries with same capacity. It still didn't charge. And BIOS says the same.

I heard there is a way to update BIOS with USB flash in FreeDOS. I don't know how to do it. If you know, please explain it with detail.

Hi, updating your BIOS in your situation will do nothing to charge the battery. You have changed the cells in the battery, but on the printed circuit of the battery you have a chip with the characteristic of the old cells, the chip does not have the characteristic of the new cells. This is the reason why the new cells do not charge in the battery.

Solution

Honeycomb888

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2014
Quite a few people have this issue with Dell laptops. If you search the internet, you will see. I found one answer by a Dell rep that said that means the BIOS needs updating (after you have checked the obvious - battery good, charger fine, etc.). I checked the BIOS updates on mine, and sure enough there were a couple of BIOS updates. I was unable to do it because my new battery had depleted below the % required to update the BIOS. I tried the USB flash drive with /forceit, but I got the same error message (battery not charged enough). So my choice, I guess, is to trash the laptop, accept that I can only work with it plugged in (no battery), or buy a new battery just for the purpose of updating the BIOS to see if that fixes it (I just bought a new battery, but it got depleted before I found the BIOS fix recommendation).

Status
Not open for further replies.