Update more Leopard Problems Plague Apple

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The only problems I have encountered with Leopard are O.E., due to unfamiliarity of its new features. I have a PowerBook G4 and have upgraded from OS 10.0 all the way up to Leopard, with no issues. Maybe some of these Vista users a getting a bit perturbed watching us Mac people upgrade our OS without skipping a beat or missing a day of work. It really was flawless and painless to do, I PROMISE.

G

My biggest gripes are the fact that they've upgraded many of the server components on the Desktop OS without letting the users know and without providing any kind of easy migration tools. My IMAP email & my web servers are now broken & I have to go fix them. It would have been polite of Apple to at least let us know.

justswitched

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
From a brand spanking new mac purchased 3 weeks ago with leopard installed immediately after unpacking, here are the issues I've seen.
1. Mouse freezes on wakeup from sleep (Probably a USB issue)
2. System hang while playing DVD in front row
3. Intermittant loss of audio, need to restart coreaudservice
4. syslogd thrashing CPU 100% usage, needed to delete log file and reboot
5. Safari hung on many occasions
6. iPhoto quits unexpectantly on import of photos
7 iPhoto got into a funny state asking me each time I opened it, to finish importing files, when I selected yes, it just quit. I had to go into the iPhoto files and delete a bunch of stuff to make it stop.
8. Dashboard widget locations get messed up
9. Inability to unmount network/dmg's reboot needed

All this in 3 weeks of usage...
I had a mac-mini a couple of years ago running tiger and it seemed much more stable than leopard, though it was a slow machine.

G

This is normal for almost all things. If you haven't heard of entropy, read it in wikipedia. Apple's OS is soon to be a target for hackers as the computer gets more popular. Mac used to be "hacker-safe" because not many people used the system, and instead hackers focused on more popular OS's like Microsoft. I know this is way off topic, but this article shows the beginning of just another OS that will have a bunch of viruses and trojans to fight off. The last victim left is Linux....

G

I've had too many problems with Leopard to where I have to agree. They released too early. Nothing like the 50% transparency "You must Restart your computer" cascading down my screen after I just clicked RESTART from the Apple menu. 10.5.1 did nothing to fix that. If it weren't for the fact that Time Machine is great, I'd be furious that I spent the coin on this release. But, it could be MUCH worse.

G

"Apple Mac users are really dumb. They should use Windows as it runs all software. What dummies!"

So sad to see cluesless folk like this make moronic statements such as the above. And Windows does NOT run all software, dumbass.

machole

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
This should be a good lesson for the Vista bashing Mac snobs. Just because you hear a few people complain doesn't mean EVERYONE has the problem. Leopard on a new system works great just like Vista on a new system. Unfortunately my gen1 Macbook is plagued by odd issues (while my new Dell seems to be bulletproof).

G

Not everyone is going to have problems with this. They are just stating that there could be problems. It is just alaming since Apple has such a clean track record.

G

great article, thanks for keeping apple honest. I think Microsoft should respond with some ads on these issues to put some more pressure on Apple to fix them quickly

G

As a Macbook user who upgraded to Leopard I did not experience installation troubles. But running the OS I have had unMac like program crashes from Safari and Mail. These are both Apple software which come with Leopard. Why these programs should crash is beyond me? I can certainly see problems with third party software. But Apple shouls at least be able to get its own software running right!

G

HOLD ON HERE! ....with regard to that BLUE SCREEN OF "DEATH"... I too had seen this blank blue screen on install of Leopard on my G4 Laptop... of course i cannot speak for anyone els... but when the blue screen appeared and did not seem to go away... rather than give up and assume that it crashed... i had patients and let the computer sit for about 10 min... SURE enough... eventually... the computer booted up... im assuming that the upgrade just took a long time... granted... im on a G4 Laptop... not one of those fast and fancy INTEL models... needless to say... it DID eventually start up and i have not seen any major issues... sure there a few bugs... but most are minor enough for me to continue to work until there is an update... AND just for the record... im not running a simple setup... i have tons of software that was already installed... some are major applications like Adobe CS 3 as well as other third party software ...all working without issues.... i have to say... im IMPRESSED with LEOPARD.

Germaris

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Quote:
"Perhaps the most troublesome of the problems has been a data loss issue caused by Finder, which performs a function on Macs similar to that of Explorer in Windows. In Leopard, when Finder moves a file from one drive to another, it deletes the file from the originating hard drive, without first checking to see if the file arrived safely on the destination hard drive. If anything goes wrong during the file transfer, such as a momentary power glitch on the destination hard drive, the file would then be destroyed on both hard drives."

THIS IS NOT TRUE!

When you say the Finder "moves" a file, this is not true. The Finder COPIES a file from one disk to another. It doesn't delete the original file by itself. The original file must be deleted by yourself MANUALLY if you wish to.

Regards

Germaris

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
As a complement to my last posting, I give you this precision:
In its statement Apple speaks about moving files across PARTITIONS (Volumes) not across DISKS...

G

I think it's funny how Mac fan boys always seem to get all riled up when something doesn't work properly with they almighty Mac devices, ignoring bugs and defects as though they never happened or dismissing them, stating that everything works as intended. Go sacrifice a lamb to Steve Jobs or something, and let the big boys talk.

G

Leopard has been a nightmare. We're an 8 designer production line doing two thousand pages a month. The Adobe product incompatibility alone has been disastrous. We're two thirds of the way back to Tiger - where we will remain.

G

I also work in a design studio. Recently recieved a new $6500 g5. The problems with almost every piece of third party sotfware is terrible. even basic vector operation cause software crashes. It takes about 10mins after booting before the system is useable (mail is the only app that has been selected to load on startup). system crashes when switching applications. system crashes when opening applications. system crashes when closing applications. system crashes when shuting down. the list goes on. Everyone keeps saying that it's because the software is third party and it's not apples fault. SO i now have a $6500 mac that is only used to run itunes. Everything else is now run on a $3000 pc with vista. Still yet to have a problem with any of the thirdparty software or with the os on vista machine. Management is now trying to have all of our new macs returned and replace them with ms pcs.

suzgor

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
I should have read these comments before attempting to install Leopard. I got the "blue screen" after the first installation. I checked on the website and on the customer service line for suggestions on how to get the new upgrade to operate properly. I attempted another installation and had the same problem. I took the MacBook Pro to a local Apple certified service center and the manager attempted twice to install the upgrade and, $200 later, it still was not installed and I had to give him my installation discs to get the computer to work again, back to it's original configuration from two years ago. Needless to say, when I called Apple and asked about getting a new disc that might work or getting a refund on my original disc, I was told that someone from customer support would call me. That was almost 24 hours ago and have not heard from anyone yet, so I sent an email to customer support and will now see if I get any response. I have been extremely satisfied with my Mac and would not trade it for the world, but I'm going to stick with my current version. Never thought I would say that.

suzgor

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
I should have read these comments before attempting to install Leopard. I got the "blue screen" after the first installation. I checked on the website and on the customer service line for suggestions on how to get the new upgrade to operate properly. I attempted another installation and had the same problem. I took the MacBook Pro to a local Apple certified service center and the manager attempted twice to install the upgrade and, $200 later, it still was not installed and I had to give him my installation discs to get the computer to work again, back to it's original configuration from two years ago. Needless to say, when I called Apple and asked about getting a new disc that might work or getting a refund on my original disc, I was told that someone from customer support would call me. That was almost 24 hours ago and have not heard from anyone yet, so I sent an email to customer support and will now see if I get any response. I have been extremely satisfied with my Mac and would not trade it for the world, but I'm going to stick with my current version. Never thought I would say that.

G

I've personally attempted installation of Leopard on 2 macbook pro's and 1 mac-pro. The mac-pro lasted a couple of days until it just decided to continuously lockup (due to the amount of software that was installed from 10.4.) The two macbook pro's did not have a very involved regiment of programs, yet both still crashed during installation.

I am currently sitting next to a leopard installation on one of the macbook pro's (6th attempt). The hard drive was erased in disk utility and the "Time Remaining" is now stuck again at 56 minutes...

Looks EXACTLY if not worse than a Vista upgrade to me. Again this is only a random sampling of my 3 Mac's in my personal life, all 3 are very capable systems with disk permissions and disks themselves verified/repaired. (Mac Pro - Dual Xeon, macbook pro's are both core 2 duo's)I just don't understand why apple blew it on Leopard.

Status
Not open for further replies.