Update more Leopard Problems Plague Apple

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

this article is not overdone, or at least to the point of using the term "way." I have been fighting with the blue screen for the past few days and am also considering going back to tiger until I hear of a better update. This has REALLY been messing up my production, and I can't get too much help from Apple so far. Although I'm confident they will help, its still quite the hassle.

caffiend

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
We have a mix of Mac's and PC's in a Windows Server environment.

I'm the admin, and my background is almost exclusively PC, with enough *nix to be dangerous.

My tenure started as the company was ramping up it's IT footprint, so I was asked as we added workstations if I cared whether the machines were Mac or PC. My limited professional exposure to Macs had shown them to be reliable, though I felt they were overpriced and that the user was excessively cocooned for my taste. I stated this as my opinion, and that if the company wanted to pay extra for comparable Mac's, I didn't care. I'm not an OS snob. All an OS is for is to operate software on a particular hardware platform. Nothing more or less.

Fast forward 18 months and we now have a brand new MBP that is pretty much a doorstop, when it's not in the Apple Store. It should have been replaced by now under Apple Care, but Apple isn't the Rich Uncle it once was, and now drags it's feet on hardware replacements.

[I'm familiar with Apple Care from when I used to work over the cubicle wall from the AppleCare people. We were all outsource workers.]

During the same period, we also had a MB go dead requiring a fresh OS install, keyboard failure on a desktop, and a dead display on another MB.

It's not a huge list of problems, but 100% of the issues we've had have been on new Mac hardware - both PPC and Intel.

None of the older units have had any problems at all.

I had wondered about the price decrease on new Mac's, and had assumed it was driven by Apple's desire to gain market share.

Now it seems to merely be a reflection of the decreased value of new Macs, given the higher failure rate and poorer quality of service and support.

I'll be looking long and hard at any new Mac additions to our physical plant, and if it's at all mission critical, we'll go PC. They may not be any more reliable, but they're a lot easier to fix and parts are easier to get and a lot cheaper.

We aren't a design studio, so there really isn't any advantage to Mac hardware for us any more.

G

I too am getting fed up with freezing aps all the time - particularly mail.

G

Simple fact: Early adopters experience issues.

I'm an early adopter of Leopard. I absolutely love many of the new features. It remains a very stable OS. Yes, I have experienced some strange problems very common to early adopters. But this doesn't compare to the waste of time Vista is. So, do you want your computer to work most of the time or just some of the time.

Regards,
Sam

G

Come on, this business of taking a dig at Vista to excuse the problems with Leopard is lame. The situation with Leopard is if anything worse than that with Vista. Vista was a major change in the OS architecture that had teething problems and OEMs dropped the ball on Vista driver development. A lot of software written to legacy (pre-.NET) Windows conventions also had compatibility issues. Those problems are pretty much history. For most of its life, Vista has been a very stable OS and it got a performance boost with SP1. Leopard is, by contrast, an addition of features to a basic architecture that has been in use since 2001. Something happened in the development of Leopard that shouldn't have, and some of the symptoms have been present to some degree since Panther. A mature architecture should have less problems than previous versions, not more. The closest comparison to be made with Leopard on the Windows side is Windows ME.

Caffiend's post resonates with my own experience with Apple in recent years: declining hardware quality, customer service, and OS stability. It is not too difficult to see patterns in the Mac forums indicating unsolved systemic problems. Just a few years ago I never would have thought the Windows PC platform would be the choice for performance and reliability, but that appears to be the current reality.

csiguy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
"But this doesn't compare to the waste of time Vista is." - Sam

Grow up Sam. Mac fanboi...
I've been running Vista Home Premium 64-bit for 8+ months now. I have never had a single issue with it. It's running on top-quality hardware (3GHz Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD) for use with graphics/game development: 3DS Max etc. The system just flies. I chose Vista because I wanted 64-bit support for more physical memory, with no regrets. My only complaints are the missing Windows Explorer toolbar and two simple Registry hacks I had to do to get around UAC and Explorer folder views. I have had no crashes and it runs as stable as my XP system and two Server 2003 systems.

G

Every time there's an update something worse happens. I can't believe I have to do this, but I'm going to erase the copy of Leopard that came with my mac mini and install Tiger. I need minor things like ITunes and the internet back again. WTF Apple?

G

We try to stick with Tiger. Leopard is a disaster. The new mobile labs we have forced us to use leopard. As of right now, I have two set of 28 MacBooks that cannot be used anymore as the wireless was flakey to begin with and after each update got worse. 10.5.6 killed them. They will NOT work with wireless anymore. XP on the same MacBook works great. Tiger on other ones, work great.

G

I have downloaded Leopard on two of my computers and then Lion for this crazy iCloud upgrade (oxymoron). I started the download of Leopard on my daughters computer and it has now been frozen on a grey screen with a lovely apple in the middle, for the past 12 hours. It said it was going to take 45 minutes. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.