Upgrade a Desktop Machine to SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

void5

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
You can get almost the same boot time on "regular" HDD - if you are not afraid to use beta-quality software. Boot Cooler (www.bootcooler.com). But, unlike SSD, it will not accelerate application launches after system boot.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
On the last page you said you are running Windows 9- is this article set in the future?

I think it would be helpful if you would go more into the driver side of things. Don't you have to load RAID drivers partway through the Windows install procedure? Do you need to specifically set the BIOS to use AHCI?

J-Ro

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Do the latest Intel storage drivers support the TRIM command for SSDs? When I was setting mine up a couple weeks ago I thought that I read they did not, and that if you wanted TRIM support you needed to stick with the Windows drivers.

Not sure if the drives used in this article support TRIM, so maybe not an issue...

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
This article sums it up, I got the same reaction to the amazing speed of the SSD drives! The X25-m is installed using AHCI before installing Windows 7 and yes from what I heard the newest firmware supports TRIM.

G

"literally being able to make lunch in the time it took to go from power off to having all of my normal apps loaded"????????????

Ummm, what is the time frame between power off and fully booted?
Overnight? A week?

G

This article and the previous one on this topic were great. I actually upgraded 2 of my machines - extremely quick and simple ... the Acronis software included was a huge plus.

G

You say "Most SSDs now leave some margin of unallocated space on the drive for spare memory cells and swap space for write operations ... This is why the 64 GB Kingston registers in the BIOS as only having 59.6 GB of capacity that is available to use."

Wrong. 64GB of hard drive maker space (64 billion bytes) equals 59.6GB of real space. A real GB is 1024*1024*1024 = 1073741824 bytes.

G

I have 2 torqx 128 ssd's in raid 0.I still haven't figured out how to defrag them.

G

I heard a rumor that SSDs perform even better when they are formatted at a cluster size of 512KB. Is this true? It never came up as an issue in your article.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Wish you woulda shown the Windows Experience Index for the Drive. Just curious how it would of campared to my 7200rpm drive.

bugbait

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]I have 2 torqx 128 ssd's in raid 0.I still haven't figured out how to defrag them.[/citation]

Were you being sarcastic? SSD's don't need to be and shouldn't (reduces life expectancy) be defragmented.

G

My 25" imac already starts up that fast and I don't waste any time with MS BS or viruses

G

I'm not wanting to be a photographer nerd or anyhting, but on a dull winter's day there is less dynamic range in the scene that on a sunny day and so less need to use HDR!

Status
Not open for further replies.