Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I have a:
-Brand: Sony
-Model: Vaio VGN-AW350J
-CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 Processor (2.00GHz) FSB 1066 MHz,
-GPU: Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT Dedicated 512MB RAM
-Resolution:18.4-Inch XBRITE-Full HD Technology 1080P @ 60Hz HDMI Output
-RAM: 4GB DDR2 800 SDRAM (Max Supported 8GB)
-HD: 500GB SATA 5400rpm
-Optical Drive:Blu-Ray R/RW DVD+-R Double Layer / DVD±RW Drive
-Security:Biometric Fingerprint Sensor Platform Module (TPM) TCG Ver.1.2 compliant
-Usage (Gaming, Internet)

I have been hearing alot about upgrading laptops. That there is not much you can do when it comes to adding new things to a laptop for performance/speed. Well, ok here is what I would like: Could someone look at what I have above and tell me what components that I can change out for better/faster preformance? What brand, a few specs and a brief explanation why they are better than what I have on my system. that way I will have a basis on weather I should upgrade the laptop I have, that was purchased about a year ago for $1400 or bite the bullet and buy a i5 or i7. I would rather upgrade the one I have first to get more savy with laptop hardware and be able to do the same upgrades on my next laptop over time to keep up. Any information will be appreciated.

PS: What laptops are the most upgradable?

agent2

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

What I want to do is make my current laptop as fast/powerful as possible untill I upgrade to i7 or equivilant, whatever is best in a few years. If I would have known that quad core was that much better after reserching I would have bought one but I did not do the proper reserch before buying and mistakingly thought I could just go buy and put a i7 on a dual core motherboard. I will not be buying another laptop for a few years and want to upgrade my laptop as much as I can for gaming online and internet usage with some CAD uses. It's also so I can learn more about Laptops and be comfortable opening up mine and working on it because I like them alot. See I want to know what I am doing before I buy this time. Not just see something at Fry's, for instance a hard drive, go get it and it doesn't work or there is something better so I came here first to ask.