Upgrade CPU Options?

jackypops

Estimable
Jun 8, 2014
I haven't got much knowledge when it comes to laptops but I know the basics, I'm here to expand my knowings of laptop components. I have a Lenovo G505 laptop, I recently upgraded the ram from 4GB to 8GB and there was about a 10 fps boost on a specific game (World of Tanks). How ever 30-40 fps is still quite horrible especially when I'm running on the lowest graphics.

I'm currently running an AMD A8-4500M APU 1.90GHz with Radeon HD graphics. I haven't really looked around but can anyone suggest or give their opinion on what CPU I can upgrade to.

Thanks, kind regards.

Solution
the socket is FS1R2 which has a TDP limit of 35 watts. Given that and given that Lenovo may or may not support later APU versions in BIOS (as opposed to Trinity which the laptop has). In theory AMD says the A10-5750M Richland will work in that socket, it doesn't guarantee BIOS support from Lenovo however.

At the end of the day we're talking 20-25 per cent improvement if the gamble even pays off.

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
That's a socket FS1 CPU,
A8 5500M will work in a g505 ... I know because I changed the one in my wife's laptop. I also know it's supported by the BIOS, motherboard and cooling because they sell models of the G505 with the same components but with that A8 5500M.

The GPU is a . bit beefier in the A8 5500 m (10%)

the reason for the boost from adding ram is you enabled dual channel memory by doing so and the GPU's on these notebooks are bandwidth starved, so that was the right move.

If you find one and replace it, remember to CORRECTLY apply a small amount of thermal grease and clean the blower and radiator fin assembly while it's apart. It's not a hard job really.

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014

There is much irony in that quote.

Of course, many laptops are, this users is .

BGA CPU laptops are not, laptops without BIOS support are not.

This is not the case with the G 505.

jackypops

Estimable
Jun 8, 2014

Just found out my I have a FP2 socket so I don't think the A8-5500M will work since it's a FS1 socket.

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014

That's interesting, because all the replacement motherboards for that model of lappy are only available is FS1, though I am aware that CPU is also available in FP2 (BGA) . Maybe someone made yours from scratch and it's different.

jackypops

Estimable
Jun 8, 2014
I know where I've went wrong now, the laptop is actually the G505s not the G505. I decided to open it back up to identify the socket which it says 'FS1', I was previously using CPU-Z to check my socket type which that said 'FP2'. I've looked at A-10 FS1 socket processors such as the 4600M and the 5750M, cooling isn't an issue because I always use a fan stand which keeps the laptop cool even when doing high tasks such as gaming. Personally I would be happier with a more powerful processor instead of the A8-5500M which like you said only a little 10% boost.

I also have a K15 IMC chipset

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
the socket is FS1R2 which has a TDP limit of 35 watts. Given that and given that Lenovo may or may not support later APU versions in BIOS (as opposed to Trinity which the laptop has). In theory AMD says the A10-5750M Richland will work in that socket, it doesn't guarantee BIOS support from Lenovo however.

At the end of the day we're talking 20-25 per cent improvement if the gamble even pays off.

Solution