Upgrade Hardware or just get a new MBP?

seekheart

Estimable
Feb 21, 2014
I have a macbook early 2011 13in i7 4gb RAM and wanted to ask if I should upgrade the hardware or just get a newer macbook pro retina?

What I use it for
1) Coding/Programming in Java/Python/etc
2) Run VM Ubuntu
3) Casual Photoshop/Video Editing
4) Work (Documents/PPT/ETC)

Solution

I am not saying this will solve the problem but you can upgrade to 16GB of RAM. This is possible even though Apple states it will support a maximum of 8GB. I can attest to this because I have done it. I can't say whether or not it will have an impact on the lagging issue with Ubuntu but it should help with video editing if you are editing HD pictures and video if RAM is the issue and has already been mentioned it is not "capping out".

Apple MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.7 13" Early 2011 Specs

However, if you do decide you want to upgrade to a newer Mac then you should choose the RAM option you want when you make the purchase...

cilliers

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
That is a pretty decent little laptop as is. Are you having performance issues? I guess you could increase the RAM to 8GB, but that's really the extent to which you are able to upgrade your laptop apart from adding an SSD. Neither one of those upgrades would address your performance issues with your Ubuntu VM or photoshop editing. For those, you'll need a beefier CPU and GPU combo.

barto

Distinguished
Herald
Apr 20, 2009

I think you missed my post.

You can't upgrade the hardware on a MBP. What you have is what you get. If you aren't pleased with the performance, you'll have to buy something new.

barto

Distinguished
Herald
Apr 20, 2009

Yes, But is that your problem? Just like cillers said, the extent of most likely is from older hardware. If you're capping out the RAM, adding more is possible. If you're not capping out, adding RAM will not solve your problem.

I am not saying this will solve the problem but you can upgrade to 16GB of RAM. This is possible even though Apple states it will support a maximum of 8GB. I can attest to this because I have done it. I can't say whether or not it will have an impact on the lagging issue with Ubuntu but it should help with video editing if you are editing HD pictures and video if RAM is the issue and has already been mentioned it is not "capping out".

Apple MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.7 13" Early 2011 Specs

However, if you do decide you want to upgrade to a newer Mac then you should choose the RAM option you want when you make the purchase. If I have read correctly the option to upgrade the RAM is gone once you make the purchase as the RAM is now soldered onto the motherboard.
"There are no RAM slots. 16 GB of RAM is onboard. It cannot be upgraded after purchase at all."
"*8 GB of RAM is onboard by default, but it can be upgraded to 16 GB at the time of purchase for an additional US$200. RAM cannot be upgraded later."
Source: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html

Solution