Upgrade HP Pavillion ab291sa resolution?

Demented_Eli

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
Hello

I've recently purchased the HP Pavillion ab291sa and it's a decent laptop. Two things I'm not ecstatic about though are the display ( 1366 x 768 ) and the speed. I plan on installing a SSD into the optical drive which seems easy enough and I also wish to upgrade the display to a 1080p myself. I'm a college student so I don't have the money to get a new laptop so this is my only option if I want to have a better display.

I've read online that you can upgrade if the pin connection is the same ( mine is a 30 pin connection ) and if the position of the pin connection matches on the new screen and if you have a specific velcro in certain cases.

I've also read there are problems that could occur though such as the cpu working harder to accommodate the new resolution thus making the laptop die as it wasn't built for that resolution.

These are my display specs
https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/HP-Compaq/PAVILION~15-AB291SA/
i5 6200u
2tb hdd
8gb ram
no video card

And this is the desired display
https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/HP-Compaq/ZBOOK%2015%20(C5N55AV)/

What I would like to know if this is possible to do and what else would i need to buy for the installation and if not what other 1080p display would work.

I apologise for any ignorance and lack of terminology on the thread. I thought it would be best to consult people with the appropriate knowledge on the matter.

Solution

Can't get the link to the screen you're planniing on getting to work. But here is a link to the screen in my Pavilion. I am 95% sure it would work perfectly in your Pavilion...

Demented_Eli

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016

Thanks for the reply robert. I should have clarified that I have a pc with 1080p monitor at home. The reason I want it on my laptop is when I'm at college or if I have to visit family far away. I can't bring my set up with me so it would be nice to have that higher resolution on hand.

I recently purchased an HP Pavilion as a spare laptop, and it has a 1080p display, no dedicated graphics card, and the exact same cpu as yours (and the chassis is identical as well). Much to my surprise, it runs cool as a cucumber. So I don't think you'll have any problems.

robert600

Distinguished
Ok - I've never done what you're trying to do but given you need the portability here are some thoughts.

I doubt your system would struggle under the higher res because it can currently do it through hdmi. I found the following on-line: 'All models can be configured with up to 16GB of RAM and 2TB of hard disc storage. Even though a non-touch HD resolution panel is standard, users can upgrade to FHD resolution and a touchscreen.' FHD = 1080p. So ... I would think that whatever screen HP uses for their 'FHD model' would be the one to try. Who knows, it might fit perfectly in your lid - maybe 'HP support' could help with determining this?
If you go ahead with this I would be interested in hearing the results!

Demented_Eli

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
I appreciate the replies guys, after reading what both of you's have to say I think I'm going to order the screen. I think my laptop would be able to handle it.

I've seen similar laptops of the series with the same specs and FHD so I have no reason to think it wouldn't work. Although being ignorant on the matter doesn't weigh on the other side either :p.

I'll most likely be buying it at the end of next month so late October. I'll post back whether it is a success incase anybody has the same model laptop and wants to know if it's possible.

Thanks again!

Can't get the link to the screen you're planniing on getting to work. But here is a link to the screen in my Pavilion. I am 95% sure it would work perfectly in your Pavilion. As I said earlier, the hardware/chassis of yours is identical to mine.

http://www.screencountry.com/index.php?section=products&model=PAVILION%2015-AK020NB&brand=HP-Compaq&series=PAVILION

Solution