Upgrade Qosmio X870 video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeesef

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
Hello, I have a huge question, I would like to know if there's any chance to upgrade the video card on my Toshiba Qosmio X870, I have a Geforce GTX 670M installed, and I would like to install a Geforce GTX 670MX, because I want to be able to stream games to my Shield without having to buy another computer, the 670M is not supported but the 670MX is, I think both cards use the same MXM port, I might be able to get a GTX 770M, for about the same price as the 670MX, but my main concern is compatibility, please advise, thanks.

MalakiArtook

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
no, laptop GPUs cant be upgraded its built into the board.

Edit: oh i guess I'm wrong. one min i need to look int this...

Well dang i had no idea :O i wish i could upgrade the gpu in my old dv6700.

I'm gonna read up on this and I'll let you know if figure it out. i didnt even know they started doing this.

1988J

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014

Sorry to bring this topic back up. Any info on whether it is possible to upgrade the card on this machine? I have the same laptop and was looking at trying to get a GTX770m in it for example. What would be your opinion on this? I seem to either get ''it should be possible'' or ''no way'' but no conclusive info on how to proceed either way. I have take the machine apart multiple times for upgrades but have never tried to upgrade the GPU in a laptop before. I love this laptop and the hardware will be fine for ages yet, it's just that the GTX670m is already starting to be a little lacking on some of the latest games.

I understand that the GPU's on these laptops are heavily integrated with the motherboard. But as far as I'm aware they can be replaced if they break without having to replace the MB. So if they can be replaced it means they can be removed surely?! And if I got a toshiba OEM GTX 770m that uses the same ports....? This is just my thought processes here. In terms of power output and compatibility issues I get a little lost so any help would be great!

Cheers

powerUserCa5h

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
I am lead to believe that 'GPU in the Toshiba Qosmio Gaming Laptop X870' can be replaced
I too always thought that the GPU would be soldered to the motherboard by the factory.

Asked about a recent warranty repair and told was GPU and a Disk Drive issue, preventing my laptop from turning on! One time the extra 2 year Extended Warranty has been a real blessing was looking at a $600 repair! World wide Qosmio Warranty is 2 years, but ONLY 12 months in Australia. My machine failed 23 months! Don't get me wrong I Love this Gaming Laptop, plays every game I throw at it.

So if an Australian Tech can swap out the NVidia Ge Force GTX 670MX with 3GB DDR5 onboard RAM! Then I would recon a person who really knows what they are doing could also swap out the GPU! The manuals don't really show how to disassemble your X870 or X70 as it is now known, and recon doing so might void your warranty, but ONE could do it!

The ONLY other real upgrade would be a couple of 2.5" Solid State Drives (no moving parts) Windows 8 Ultimate with Media (64 - bit version) & 4 x 8GB sticks of 1600Mhz RAM to FULLY pimp your X870! Remove the Battery, add a nice big cooling mat and then you'll be set for any 'Lan Party' or gaming session!

Finally, yes, Just Cause 3 and GTA 5 in FPS mode and in 3D will both perform Beautifully with this Well Built Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.