Solved! Upgrading 870m to 1070?

Annoytanor

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
I have a big P170SM-A laptop and was wondering if it's worth upgrading it from an 870m to a 1070 (i7-4710MQ, 16GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, 2TB SSHD). I'm mostly curious about if there will be any bottlenecks or anything and if I'll be able to run VR if I buy a headset in the future
and if it makes financial sense or if I should sell my laptop and buy a new one in a year or two. The mxm 3.0b 1070 is for sale for £560 from eurocom who make the laptop and it seems like a fairly simple upgrade to do.

update: the mxm 1070 is £726 with shipping and VAT from eurocom, which I cannot afford (although I might be able to find cheaper ones on ebay for ~£550)

Solution

First time hearing of that site.

If you ask me, no, not worth it. Your CPU make bottleneck as it is a laptop variant, but I do not think too much. I say no because of the price right now, which may decrease due to the new release of GPU's from Nvidia next month and also that finding a cheaper one from Ebay may not exactly be compatible with your laptop. I may be a sacredly cat, but I would not risk the upgrade as there are some thin wires inside laptops that connect the mobo to the keyboards and everything...

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

You can't upgrade the GPU on a laptop, you need an External GPU Case for that 1070 (I don't think your laptop supports it) or you need to buy a new Laptop.

Annoytanor

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
I don't have thunderbolt or type C so I can't use an external gpu case, I can definitely upgrade my gpu. You go to the Eurocom website click upgrade, click on my model of laptop and it lists all the gpus you can have inside.

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

First time hearing of that site.

If you ask me, no, not worth it. Your CPU make bottleneck as it is a laptop variant, but I do not think too much. I say no because of the price right now, which may decrease due to the new release of GPU's from Nvidia next month and also that finding a cheaper one from Ebay may not exactly be compatible with your laptop. I may be a sacredly cat, but I would not risk the upgrade as there are some thin wires inside laptops that connect the mobo to the keyboards and everything on the surface, which if not pulled out correctly, can sever the link between the keyboard and mobo, as well in some cases, the cooling.

My 2 cents, I would say no. But main reason is because of pricing.

Solution