Upgrading a basic laptop

Slyfox98

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Hey guys,

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55t-B5230 Laptop that is used mainly for streaming and writing. The other day, it was dropped, resulting in a "boot drive error", which I'm positive means the hard drive is broken.

My question is, if I get a 500GB SSD, place it in there, get a new OS, and add replace the 4GB of RAM with a 8GB stick, will it be compatible with the Motherboard and not throttle the CPU to 100%?

Here is the link to the computer http://

I know it says the RAM is not user upgradeable, but should I give it a shot?

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2015
Yep, you should be able to install a SSD. Also try removing the hard drive and placing it into an enclosure or computer. Sometimes there is still recoverable data. Sometimes it's dead. The RAM might be soldered in, check that. If there are no vacant slots and the RAM is soldered you can't upgrade that.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Yes but I would test the drive because it could be something on the Mobo itself where the drive connects. So if you buy a new drive, a New OS and new memory and the problem is the mobo and have to replace it your getting up to the cost of getting a new machine. You can take it somewhere to get it looked at to make sure the hard drive is the only thing damaged.

The Toshiba C55t series is very common. You will find lots of Youtube videos describing how to replace the HDD and upgrade the memory (one bank DDR3-1600, user-upgradable according to Crucial)).

Your particular model uses a low-end Celeron processor. Normally I'd suggest upgrading to a higher-end CPU laptop instead of upgrading its components to try to eek out more speed. However, in this case you it sounds like you need the new parts to make the system function again, and you can re-use the RAM and SSD in a new computer if you should upgrade in the future. So it's not that bad a choice.

Make sure you buy the parts from someplace where you can return them without a restocking fee. There is a very small chance that the error is caused by damage to the motherboard (SATA port broke).

Well ya that's the company's line, it may imply, "we don't do it for you, but if you do it, you are on you own and no warranty."

As already mentioned, I would Google and check out youtube. If, of course, OP is not afraid of disassembly and deal with small parts and cables.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

But it doesn't say that for the Hard Drive. Legally adding memory doesn't void a warranty There os legislation created to protect the consumer. The only thing that wouldn't be covered is the new memory.

I also saw that it can go to 8 gb of ram. But is the OS 64 or 32 bit. I know the processor is 64 bit but that doesn't mean the installed OS is.

Corporations have lawyers by the dozen, Joe-Blow users are unlikely to fight it.

But we are pulling hair, all am saying is, just because the company says so, it doesn't mean it's technically impossible.

On my old Sony laptop, the memory slot is under the motherboard, and there isn't a door the user can open to get to it. In order to change this ram, I literally had to disassemble the whole shebang, kinda hairly if you are not used to this level of disassembly.

Also the manual says 384 megabyte max, because at the time of manufacture, 384 sticks was the maximum they sold, then 512 megabytes became available a few years later. If you go literally by the manual, you give up right.

Slyfox98

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I attached the HDD From the laptop onto my tower (a machine I'm familiar with), and the files were all still in there and accessible.

So it might be a part of the HDD that got damaged (not really likely) or just a SATA connector to the laptop. I'll have to see, since everything looks intact. Also, I already was able to take the stick of RAM out and place it back in. No problem there; hopefully though it wont fry the motherboard if I place a single 8GB RAM card in there. Too bad I can't replace the CPU. Or can I....