Solved! Upgrading Clevo P650HS-G

Dec 2, 2020
I have a Clevo P650HS-G with the below specs that I currently use as a desktop replacement and I'm interested in upgrading some of its components, particularly memory and storage. I've replaced and repaired laptop components before, but I've never upgraded parts on the one I use daily so I'd appreciate any suggestions and/or help in both choosing the correct parts and going about this in the correct way. From what I can tell so far, it has 4 memory slots with a max memory of 64 GB, but I'm unsure about any additionally available SSD slots, upgrading the current SSD, and upgrading the current HD to SSD (preferably 2 TB of storage for each because I have had to uninstall a lot of programs).

Specs
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.8GHz
  • Installed RAM: 32 GB DDR4 2400MHz
    • I'm assuming the current RAM is installed in the slots underneath the keyboard since there's none in the below picture, but I haven't confirmed yet.
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 w/ 8 GB GDDRS
  • Primary Drive: 512 GB NVMe PCIe SSD
    • Currently 100 GB free.
  • Secondary Drive: 1 TB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA III)
    • Currently 262 GB free.
tg458laa6t261.jpg

I'm also open to any other upgrade recommendations. Thanks!

Solution
You should not need any more RAM, have you checked while it was running and you are actually maxing out the 32 gig you have installed?

The system has several free M.2 slots but I don't like adding drives, would rather upgrade existing storage. You can either upgrade the M.2 nvme drive or the 2.5 platter drive in there now, up to you really. If you want to make it simple, swap the 2.5 drive so you have fast storage there and won't need to re-install Windows (but if anything is installed on the second drive you will need to re-install that).
You should not need any more RAM, have you checked while it was running and you are actually maxing out the 32 gig you have installed?

The system has several free M.2 slots but I don't like adding drives, would rather upgrade existing storage. You can either upgrade the M.2 nvme drive or the 2.5 platter drive in there now, up to you really. If you want to make it simple, swap the 2.5 drive so you have fast storage there and won't need to re-install Windows (but if anything is installed on the second drive you will need to re-install that).

Solution
Dec 2, 2020

Thanks for the input! I use this as a desktop replacement for both my primary work station and personal use so it's pretty standard that I'll have multiple large Excel workbooks, Chrome tabs, and Word docs open while also developing in Unity and VS with some background videos/music thrown in. RAM honestly may not be a problem, but I'm just trying to plan and see what all could or should be beefed up at once.

Dec 2, 2020

Hey @hang-the-9, is there any particular reason why you don't like adding drives? Is it personal preference, or are there structural reasons that may cause problems? Thanks again