Upgrading cpu on Dell Inspiron mini 1012

eidolon171

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Okay, I have a Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 and I want to upgrade the CPU as high as it can possibly go. I've replaced the CPU in a 1018 before (stock n455 for a refurbished n475), so anyone who says "that processor is soldered on the board bro" will be flatly ignored. I already have a BGA559 stencil, soldering iron, solder pre-doped with flux, third arm with magnifying glass, and enough experience to do the job a hundred times over.

So, it looks like the best CPU for this socket is the n570, and the power requirements for this part are well bellow the mini 10's capacity. My concern is whether or not I can get the bios to recognize a dual core processor. Any thoughts?

Swagley

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
I will be honest unless you want to spend lots of work on a small laptop then I really don't think you should upgrade it. I'm sure it would recognize the Dual core though.

eidolon171

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
As I said, I've de-soldered and re-soldered a Dell Inspiron mini 1018 before. The job is a piece of cake (I do a lot of laptop repair, and soldering), takes about 2 hours (half that if I'm in a rush). Is the dual core n570 physical or logical? Does it even make a difference? The risk of being wrong means I'll be out a mere $40, but I'm not made of money, so $40 is a good chunk of money to me.