Upgrading home audio system - advice request

ctj

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014
I am about to replace my 20 yr old HiFi system and given the massive change in that time - I am looking for advice on what is the best way forward.

My TV system includes:
- Philips flatscreen TV (around 10 yrs old)
- FreeSat decoder
- A second TV decoder
- Apple TV
- Xbox One (just bought)
- MacBook HDMI connection

Given the lack of HDMI connectors on my TV (2 ports) I have the FreeSat connected to one, and the other connected to a 4-port HDMI switch. I know I can chain one of the decoders with the Xbox but have not got around to doing that yet.

My audio needs are something to connect my iPod Classic - and having been toying with a a Bose sounddock or a B&W Zepplin Air.

Other considerations are that I have a MacBook that can be used with Apple TV with Airplay.

And suggestions are welcome...

Solution
At the modest end Onkyo is good. Above that Marantz and Anthem. HDMI is audio and video so the only other connections you would need is for non HDMI sources and the receiver will have optical and coax digital as well as analog inputs.
Speakers are quite important and really the only way to tell what you like is to hear it yourself.
There are so many out there that is will depend on price and where you are. Paradigm is great but if your budget is tight the Pioneer speakers designed by Andrew Davis offer a lot for a little.
A surround sound receiver would give you the HDMI inputs you need as well as much better sound than the Bose or B&W. You could use a dock to connect the iPOD classic or stream the files through the Apple TV. You could get two good speakers to start, add sub, center, and surrounds as you like or just enjoy good sound quality. If there is a local audio shop visit them and bring some of your own music.

ctj

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks americanaudiophile. Can you suggest some good surround sound receivers? I would have assumed that the optical outputs from my decoders and Xbox would have been connected to provide the sound.

At the modest end Onkyo is good. Above that Marantz and Anthem. HDMI is audio and video so the only other connections you would need is for non HDMI sources and the receiver will have optical and coax digital as well as analog inputs.
Speakers are quite important and really the only way to tell what you like is to hear it yourself.
There are so many out there that is will depend on price and where you are. Paradigm is great but if your budget is tight the Pioneer speakers designed by Andrew Davis offer a lot for a little.

Solution

ctj

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks again for your answers - this helped me understand what I should be looking for. Its now a case of finding a decent audio shop and to start shopping.