Upgrading My Laptop

ItzJosh

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015
Hey, I just bought a laptop off of someone for 750$ CAD, because I go to my dad's every second weekend, and I don't like bringing my entire build.

Here is the laptop with all of the specs:

https://www.amazon.ca/Lenovo-59426255-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Gaming/dp/B00K6ZIFFG (Without SSD)

Now, I want to be able to run games like Rainbow Six Siege, CS:GO, and BattleGrounds, I don't care about the graphics as I bought this laptop just to be able to game on low when I go to my dad's, but at the moment on Rainbow Six Siege, I sometimes drop below 60 on the lowest settings and this is not something I want.

My question is, how to I get the best performance out of this laptop without spending a ton more money. If I do need to upgrade my video card, what one should I get?

I'd rather find a solution that does not involve upgrading the video card.

Solution

Ahh I did , I apologies. No laptop under $800US will play CURRENT titles 60FPS like you wish, it is the COST of being portable. For $540US you would been able to pocket $200 and get a PS4 which CAN play current and still unreleased titles as you would expect them to be played, be 'portable' to take to your Dads and probably gotten a nice 'package deal' with better controllers, headset, games included, etc. Also the graphics wouldn't need to be 'reduced' to get the better frames.
Laptops; as a RULE of THUMB are NOT upgradable, and certainly the parts are NOT orderable from Amazon or such. Laptop parts are CUSTOM made to A) not overheat B) fit in such a small form factor C) not drain the battery in 15min.

The laptop IMHO you got ripped off of, as that Mobile Video card is 2 generations back (8xx series long out of circulation) and your running the slowest speed Hard Drive (HDD) which impacts the game performance. This is NOT a game platform to support 'modern' titles.

For the price you paid (plus a little more added to it) you could have instead gotten a UNDER WARRANT Y http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/acer-aspire-vx-15-gaming-laptop,5002.html which more than can handle the 'needs' you wanted out of the laptop.

If you want to see how each game will play on YOUR laptop, go to www.canirunit.com and select the game, and you will see real world number on performance. Remember laptop gaming is 2X more expensive than a desktop, so if you spend the 'same as a desktop' you will get HALF the performance for the same price.

Lutfij

Splendid
I don't care about the graphics as I bought this laptop just to be able to game on low when I go to my dad's, but at the moment on Rainbow Six Siege, I sometimes drop below 60 on the lowest settings and this is not something I want.
We have a paradox in that assumption.

Unfortunately the GPU on that unit isn't interchangeable or swappable. Read more here.

In retrospect, are you yet on Windows 8.1 or on Windows 10? Have you made sure your laptop's BIOS is up to date? Since the GPU would be bearing the brunt of the load on those titles, you're either going to have to get a new unit with a much beefier GPU or stick with the results you're getting. You could also try dropping the resolution to 720p and then tweak with the settings, perhaps you will be able to max out the settings at those resolutions.

okcnaline

Honorable
Herald
Nov 17, 2013

Wrong. Your regular run-out-of-mill Dell Inspirons or HP Pavilions are not upgradable. But many gaming and workstation laptops have MxM slots which are indeed able to upgrade to better GPUs. Also, older laptops that do not use "U" SKUs can swap out the CPU. Just so happens that this model has the GPU soldered. You can't just use a rule of thumb; GPU upgrades for laptops on this forum are mostly a case-by-case basis.

The GTX 860M can handle 1080P; it isn't entirely a ripoff. Acer has questionable quality, so that shouldn't be considered.

ItzJosh

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015

I am on windows 10, but have not upgraded my bios, how do I do this?

ItzJosh

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015

The laptop you linked me would have cost me another 500$ CAD... That's almost double the price I payed for this one. I think you got the currency's mixed up when you said I got ripped off. I payed 540$ USD.

okcnaline

Honorable
Herald
Nov 17, 2013

Go to Lenovo's website, enter laptop's serial number, then download latest BIOS update from that section. Then, it's a matter of following directions.

Rule #1: Know Your Audience

Op is a 'kid' based on his own statements,
90-95% of the posts are by "regular run-out-of-mill Dell Inspirons or HP Pavilions" consumers
90-95% of the posts, which by the OPs own question places him in this same category, don't know what a MxM is compared to a PCI to even start directing them in a direction, they just have a 'general idea' and apply it to ALL DEVICES equally. In this case the OP said he has a Desktop, so he is used to UPGRADING things, and applies that logic to laptops.

Uhm .. your response only proves the same thing I said for THIS OP. If this was a discussion that I mistakenly identified the laptop as potentially upgrade-able, then sure correct me on it. But don't just espouse a Geek-Techie generalized view just to make a point, that doesn't solve the OPs concern.

Would like to point out also that even if it was 'upgradable' the OP also said "without spending a ton more money. " which a replacement MxM card would be very expensive to replace on a 4xxx based system as compared to a PCIe card for his desktop computer, if he could even find one.

The OP didn't ask if it can handle 1080P, what the OP is concerned with is ANYtime it drops Frames below the 'magic' 60FPS in gameplay on CURRENT titles. I would note: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y50-Notebook-Review.120215.0.html demonstrated that 4 year old titles it can "handle...it isn't entirely a ripoff" - but again the OP did NOT ask about old titles, but current TODAY titles which the 860M can't handle, especially NOT with a 5400RPM drive. SO YES for that price he paid for in comparative to the link provided REVIEWED laptop ( you should read them from multiple points than to dismiss a model just because you dislike the Manufacturer) he was ripped off as compared to a system that MEETS the OPs requirements.

Again don't just make some arguments for arguments sake, how about actually providing SOLUTIONS to the OPs questions.

Ahh I did , I apologies. No laptop under $800US will play CURRENT titles 60FPS like you wish, it is the COST of being portable. For $540US you would been able to pocket $200 and get a PS4 which CAN play current and still unreleased titles as you would expect them to be played, be 'portable' to take to your Dads and probably gotten a nice 'package deal' with better controllers, headset, games included, etc. Also the graphics wouldn't need to be 'reduced' to get the better frames.

Solution

okcnaline

Honorable
Herald
Nov 17, 2013

That was a poor way I handled myself; I apologize.

As to counter your argument...
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-15-6-Inch-Quad-Core-i5-6300HQ-Processor/dp/B015PYYDMQ
If I recall correctly, this performs well.

Hrmm... still would need to buy a additional 1TB 2.5 to add to it, 256GB is good, but throw on more than 2 games and your impacting the SSD performance after you go over 50% use. It starts to slow down the closer to 100% filled you get sadly. But both your and my solution isn't workable for the OP, as they are looking at $500US or less budget solutions. :(

Normally (as I did there) say hey why spend so little on poor graphics for meh performance, when just stick to consoles, which cost less, get the performance (60FPS on many titles) and get excellent graphics, and last for years more than a PC all on CURRENT and FUTURE titles. Plus they are 'portable' in some circumstances.

sicily428

Notable
May 26, 2017

there are upgradeable laptops :)
this is a list

PU/GPU upgradeable new laptops (obsidian pc is a really good reseller for these monsters :) )

Clevo
-p750dm2
-p751dm2
-p775dm3
-p870km
-p870km1
-p870dm2
-p870dm3

GPU upgradeable new laptops

Dell
-Precision m7510
-Precision m7520
-Precision m7710
-Precision m7720

Fujitsu
-Celsius h970

Hp
-Zbook G3 15
-Zbook G3 17
-Zbook G4 15
-Zbook G4 17

Lenovo
-Thinkpad P70
-Thinkpad P71

MSI
-16L13/Eurocom tornado F5/Evoc16LG-1080
-gt62vr 6rd
-gt62vr 6re
-gt62vr 7rd
-gt62vr 7re
-gt72vr 6rd
-gt72vr 6re
-gt72vr 7rd
-gt72vr 7re
-gt73vr 6re
-gt73vr 6rf
-gt73vr 7re
-gt73vr 7rf
-gt83vr 6re
-gt83vr 6rf
-gt83vr 7re
-gt83vr 7rf

here a list of old upgradeable laptops
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/successful-mxm-gpu-upgraded-laptops.805136/