Upgrading my laptops ram.. Worth it?

xcrusherx13

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, hope I'm not going against any rule and not asking something that's already been asked..
Anyways, I have a Acer aspire v5 v561g and atm I use it for both working for uni and gaming, it has a intel i5 4200u (which I know isn't that great unfortunately), an amd R7 265 with 2 gb dedicated ram and the laptop runs 6gb of ddr3 ram that I recently discovered run at 800 mhz.
The laptop has always been pretty good at gaming but when I play at home on my monitor I usually can't push the graphics over 720p or 900 at best, if I go 1080p I drastically have to lower all the other settings..
Since I'm not planning to buy a new pc anytime soon I was thinking of improving this one by changing the ram to 12 or 16 gb and having both ports running 1600 mhz rams, I know that's gonna help with regular computing but is it going to be an upgrade for my gaming capabilities also? Or am I not gonna get any better out of my cpu and graphic card? My choice (if I find out it's useful) would be a pair of HyperX Impact, either 8 and 4 or 2x8 gb since I read somewhere that two of the same work better
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the long post!

xcrusherx13

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
So what would you say, should I just leave it as it is or would that slight improvement be valuable? I found a good price of 80 € on 2x8 gb (still the hyperx) so if that wouldn't be completely pointless I would get them and perhaps keep them for a next laptop ( I know laptops aren't great for gaming but being able to bring everything around is such a pro in my eyes)
Also if I can use some more of your knowledge.. Is there a relation between cpu speed and ram? My cpu runs at 1.6ghz with turbo 2.6, does it mean that it can run rams with the same speed or is it completely unrelated? Thanks