Upgrading the ASUS F555LA-AH51

Mechonis

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
I bought my dad a ASUS F555LA-AH51 laptop in 2014 for Christmas. This year, I plan to give him an SSD upgrade, but I was wondering if I could push it farther.

I was wondering if anyone knows for certain if the RAM can be expanded. The system has 4GB soldered in and 1 open RAM port that a user can easily swap out. People are claiming the other F555LA models can be expanded to 12GB (1 8 GB plus the soldered 4 GB), but such models come without a stick in the expansion slot; this model has a 4GB stick already occupying the expansion slot. The only official word I could find was a Asus rep on Amazon claiming that 8 GB was the max.

Additionally, I was wondering if this model has a second SATA port to add another HDD? If so, does it also already have a cage for an HDD or will I need to buy one?

Lastly, can the screen be upgraded? Not sure if I'll go through with a screen upgrade, but it would be nice to know if I have such an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it seems there is next to no documentation on this particular model. Heck, Asus doesn't even seem to have a manual to download for it.

Mechonis

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

Yeah, the SSD is almost a necessary upgrade at this point. That poor 1 TB HDD is almost maxed out and far too slow to be productive on anymore.

Anyways, thanks for the tip! It seems that this tool lumps the unit with other F555LA models. The results seem to point to 12 GB total being viable.

Mechonis

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
Just a quick update for anyone looking for answers to the same questions I had:

I did install the SSD and the 8GB RAM stick (raising total memory to 12GB) that was recommended by the tool mentioned by stevenjemint. Both worked perfectly and the install was relatively painless. However, I can confirm that this laptop model lacks any room for more than one 2.5 HDD/SSD; don't count on being able to use your old drive as a secondary internal drive if you plan to upgrade the storage. Luckily, I had a spare external HDD enclosure for the old drive.