Upgrading the laptops at work

mattrickman

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
The company I work for will be looking to upgrade the laptops soon. We currently are using mostly Thinkpad E520's.

Anyone know of any good laptops for a small business environment?

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Lenovo makes quality workstations - I would stick with the brand you have accessories for. I prefer the T or X series but work with your budget. Unfortunately, you're going to get strong-armed into Win8.1 unless you wait for August when they're releasing them with Win10.

geofelt

Distinguished
May I suggest you simply plan on replacing the hard drives with a ssd.
I have done this on all my laptops and the performance improvement is remarkable.
Pick one test candidate.
Buy a Samsung evo large enough to hold the current contents plus some.
Samsung offers a ssd migration tool.
Connect the ssd via a usb cable and you can clone the original to the new.
Then just replace the old hard drive with the new ssd.
And... keep the old hard drive as an emergency backup.

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
geo, depends entirely on why you're upgrading:

If they're having issues with opening multiple spreadsheets simultaneously or overall sluggishness when when multiple programs are open, then checking to see if it will support 8GB of RAM would be the best upgrade.

If they're upset by how long it takes to load windows or to launch a file, then a solid state would likely be the best upgrade.

If they're running a data analytics program and it's taking forever to process, then it's time to look at a new generation of laptop for a faster processor.

Or, as many of my execs like to do, they may just want something shiny and new to make them look special in a meeting.

TRENDING THREADS