Upgrading to 5.1 surround without wasting available 2.1

sri.doa

Commendable
Oct 5, 2017
I have a 2.1 multimedia speaker and PC with green, orange and black audio ports. If I want to have a surround effect, do I have to buy a completely new 5.1 setup or can I connect sub-woofer to orange, stereo speakers to green and buy another pair of stereo speakers to connect in black port to expect a surround sound.

Thanks and Regards,
Sri

Solution
1st of all you will be missing center speaker by doing this, if this is ok with you then yes buy any active speakers (that is already has an amplifier in them) and conect them to the black port and set the soundcard to 5.1
Just listing the colors of the ports won't help anyone, what exactly is the model of the speakers you have and the soundcard? Most 2.1 PC speakers are not meant to be expanded, so not likely you can add more speakers to that. You may be able to setup another set of powered speakers on the rear jacks of the sound card though.

sri.doa

Commendable
Oct 5, 2017

Hey, thanks for getting back. I have Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard with 3 audio output ports(black, green and Orange) and my 2.1 is an Intex basic model(sry can't identify model no.) with a sub woofer(connected to green port of MB) and two satellite (connected to sub woofer thru 3.5mm). I was wondering if adding two extra satellite speakers to black port of MB will give me a 5.1 surround effect.

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
1st of all you will be missing center speaker by doing this, if this is ok with you then yes buy any active speakers (that is already has an amplifier in them) and conect them to the black port and set the soundcard to 5.1

Reactions: sri.doa
Solution

TRENDING THREADS