US Judge Denies Apple's Bid to Block Samsung's Galaxy Tab

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]jprahman[/nom]But if Apple gets their way with these lawsuits then everybody WILL be forced to buy Apple smartphones and tablets. That is the issue.[/citation]
Even in the absence of any other tablet on the market... STILL nobody is being forced to buy an Apple product... A tablet isn't exactly a 'necessity' at this chapter of the human condition...

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]AFAIK, nobody is forcing anybody to buy Apple products.[/citation]
well when Apple blocks everyone else from selling then yes they are.

john_e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]ahlkid1213[/nom]Finally, someone in the U.S. government with some sense.[/citation]

With that being said, now other countries will stand up and take note that if Apple lost its injunction on HOME TURF, then there must be some valid points to Samsung's defense. This will open a series of flood gates where Apple will lose its injunctions in other countries as well I believe.

Then again I'm not a lawyer nor do I know how the court system works in those matters. It should be interesting to see other countries reaction to Apple losing its injunction against Samsung in the USA.

This could be the beginning of the end for Apple for its frivolous lawsuits against all other companies.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Even in the absence of any other tablet on the market... STILL nobody is being forced to buy an Apple product... A tablet isn't exactly a 'necessity' at this chapter of the human condition...[/citation]
Sure they're not forced to buy Apple products, but Apple will have a monopoly over anyone who does want a tablet. By your logic the government should never have gone after Microsoft because it's ok to have a monopoly of the PC buisness because not every person needs a PC. What a foolish way of thinking!

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
There is some people that just don't want to purchase an Apple product, so that is no harm, as those people wouldn't of purchased if an alternative to Apple wasn't present.

hawkwindeb

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]unbound55[/nom]Apple may be in a worse position than the media outlets would have you think. In the October brouhaha, the media outlets pointed out how the judge wave the two tablets in the air asking the Samsung attorney to tell her which one was which. However, the issue pointed out at that time is that the iPad itself is a carbon copy of the Knight-Ridder future tablet published back in 1994.Samsung is not denying that the tablets look very similar. Their approach is to invalidate the iPad patent since, based on the published Knight-Ridder tablet, the design would be considered obvious...therefore, unpatentable.[/citation]

Not sure what's in the actual counter by Samsung, but what about the tablet-like computer called Apple_Newton from 1987 that is Apple's and before Knight-Ridder's:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Newton

hawkwindeb

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
That's weird, I used the link tool icon to put in the link to wikipedia.org for Apple_Newton and the link did not show up in my post. Oh well, I tried to backup my post with an easy link to a public source...

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hawkwindeb[/nom]Not sure what's in the actual counter by Samsung, but what about the tablet-like computer called Apple_Newton from 1987 that is Apple's and before Knight-Ridder's:[/citation]
It's basically a PDA, not a tablet and the Psion was before it.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Indeed, I, for one, hope this might be a sign of the "beginning of the end" for Apple's bullying tactics. Anyone still remember Jason Chen, and Apple's bribery to have his Constitutional Rights suspended just because they felt threatened?

Sure, the two products look the same... But so do all the other competing tablets. Apple's just going after Samsung because they're actually quite seriously threatening their market.
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]AFAIK, nobody is forcing anybody to buy Apple products.[/citation]
However, I don't have an option to live in a world where I can entirely avoid pretentious snobs wearing white earbuds all the time.

G

Apple employee: sir i think this product can rival ipad, iphone or any of our products with an "i" and "mac"

Apple boss: sue them, make an injunction, whatever. i am pretty sure they stole something from us

Status
Not open for further replies.