USB 3.0 port suddenly stopped working

murlocks

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
Hello, my charging (not sure if this is what it's called, allows the port to charge say a phone while the laptop is in sleep mode) USB 3.0 port just stopped working today. I spent pretty much the whole day trying to fix it by trying to install/update/uninstall various usb drivers. I even updated to windows 8.1 to see if that would change anything. Here are the details:
- Laptop is Razer Blade 14" (2013)
- Now running windows 8.1
- All other USB ports are fine and running (2 others available)
- The port that is not working is a "charging port," it gives zero power and of course, no response when plugging and unplugging USB devices
- Under device managers, under USB controllers, it says "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" and gives off error 43. Under events it says that the device has failed to start.
- Also tried the "uninstall every USB device and let windows reinstall on reboot" method but can't really fully uninstall every driver. When I try to uninstall either "Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" or "USB Root Hub (xHCI)" my mouse (both external usb and pad) and keyboard stop working and I am forced to put the computer to sleep (only power button works). From sleep mode, the device manager list is refreshed and everything I uninstalled is back to normal (including the faulty driver). I don't know if this is a related problem..

Please help me out, any tips or suggestions are welcome. I can't really RMA my laptop as I need it for daily work and would probably need to wait until the end of the semester to ship it off.. I can provide any screenshots or information if necessary. Thanks

Solution
Is it absolutely imperative that you use that port? I'll suggest not using the port until such time you can do an RMA. I would also begin an RMA dialogue now with Razer but also explain that you can't be without the laptop at the moment
Is it absolutely imperative that you use that port? I'll suggest not using the port until such time you can do an RMA. I would also begin an RMA dialogue now with Razer but also explain that you can't be without the laptop at the moment

Solution

murlocks

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013

Well my situation before this happened was that I basically had only one free port for whatever I needed (charging phone, external hard drive, external keyboard) because I used the other two exclusively for my mouse and usb to ethernet adapter. I've had RMA experience with Razer before and they are actually very cooperative and fairly fast (about a little more than a weeks time for my first RMA) so I don't think opening a case now would be necessary. Especially because I wouldn't be able to send my laptop anyways to them anyways (or at least for now). So my options until I can RMA are: fix third port or get a usb 3.0 hub.. I would like to try every possible solution before the latter however. Assuming it's not hardware related (which I am really starting to think it is sadly -.-), is there anything else I can try? For the past few minutes I have just been trying to install different usb drivers on to the device hoping that it would just magically work with the right driver :/ I had a hunch that this unidentified device was a general USB hub version 6.3.9600.16384, but I downloaded those drivers and it still didn't work.. So I am now out of ideas.

Have you tried resetting your laptop? I'll suggest that (don't know why I didn't earlier). Remove battery and unplug ac adapter. Press and hold power button for 30 seconds, put battery back in, plug in ac adapter, try then... might get your USB back. But I am thinking hardware, just throwing that out there as a possible easy fix - something to try anyway