USB DAC driver problem (no solutions seem to work so far).

Jimbo_jones

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
My SMSL Q5 DAC/AMP, which previously worked fine, suddenly stopped working with all windows computers. I have tried updating, reinstalling, and plugging it in to a variety of computers. The device only seems to work on a Mac. I receive a code 10 driver error. Any ideas? I am stumped. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: It runs on the basic windows USB audio device drivers, SMSL does not provide separate ones.

Solution
Well if it works on the Mac then the device itself is probably okay.

However did you use the same USB cable for the Mac as well as the Windows PC's?

Might try a different USB cable in any case.

As for "all Windows computers" what operating system(s) are involved: 7,8, 8.1, 10? Any or all?

Windows 10 made some USB change that negated the use of a proprietary USB cable used by a family member. Verified via the manufacturer who is sending a replacement cable.

You may be encountering something similar.

Note: I took your EDIT to mean that the amp originally worked using the basic windows USB audio drivers (vs SMSL drivers) and now the amp does not work with those same drivers. Please correct if I have misunderstood.

Well if it works on the Mac then the device itself is probably okay.

However did you use the same USB cable for the Mac as well as the Windows PC's?

Might try a different USB cable in any case.

As for "all Windows computers" what operating system(s) are involved: 7,8, 8.1, 10? Any or all?

Windows 10 made some USB change that negated the use of a proprietary USB cable used by a family member. Verified via the manufacturer who is sending a replacement cable.

You may be encountering something similar.

Note: I took your EDIT to mean that the amp originally worked using the basic windows USB audio drivers (vs SMSL drivers) and now the amp does not work with those same drivers. Please correct if I have misunderstood.

Solution

sheptastic

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

I'm having a similar issue to Jimbo's. At some point, my S.M.S.L Q5 USB amp stopped working. I'm running Windows 10. I have a USB Composite Device that cannot start (Code 10). It has a Microsoft driver installed. I've tried updating the driver via Windows and as Jimbo mentioned, I have not been able to find a manufacturer driver. I've uninstalled the device in Device Manager, and when I plug the Q5 back in Windows chimes and the USB Composite Device shows up in Device Manager with a Code 10. Windows chimes every time I plug the USB cable in, or unplug it.

Any way to remedy this?

sheptastic

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Thanks. That may be the reason for the Code 10, but I wasn't successful in coming up with a solution. Spent a few hours trying to get Windows to recognize it as a USB audio device. Downloaded a bunch of 3rd party drivers that didn't work. S.M.S.L. doesn't seem to support the Q5 anymore and didn't have drivers for it or the new Pro model. Wasn't able to point Windows to the default USB 2.0 or USB 1.0 drivers, said a better driver was already installed.

I gave up and I'm using analog out of the headphone jack.