USB shorted out laptop speakers and MP3 jack?

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Hello everyone, so the other day I might have shorted out my laptop. I was working on coding an arduino, and had it wired it up according to a diagram that was for if it wasn't plugged into a computer rather then the one for if it was.

Long story short when I plugged it in it shut down my computer instantly. Since then the USB port it was plugged into doesn't work, and my speakers and MP3 jack do not seem to work. The speakers are still recognized but they do not play sound, and at times will make a varying buzzing sound, which doesn't change with the volume control.

I can plug headphones into the MP3 jack and the computer recognizes a device is plugged in but no sound comes out of the headphones plugged in. I figure the speakers are done, but I'm wondering how I can stop them from buzzing, disabling them doesn't stop it, I'm thinking the only way I can is to open the computer and manually disconnect them. But I was wondering if there is any other way to disconnect them, or troubleshoot them and the MP3 jack.

Laptop: MSI GT60 Dominator 424

Link to laptop specs: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT60-Dominator-424-9S7-16F442-424-15-6-Inch/dp/B00IMTQ5G4

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Ah ok, yea do not have the skills required to de-solder a sound card I've done a lot of soldering but nothing small like that. But I'm thinking it might be more then the sound card because the computer will actually affect other things on the same breaker in my house. If its plugged in the I've noticed my lights actually have a faint flicker until I unplug the computer.

TRENDING THREADS