Use laptop's pen input on desktop

computerman1234

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
Hello

I was just wondering if it is possible to use my laptop's pen input on my desktop, as if it is a graphics tablet for something like Photoshop.

I have an old Toshiba satalite running windows 95 and I just thought this was a good way to use it rather than have it waste space.

Please let me know if this possible and if anyone has done it before, as I couldn't find any guides online.

Solution
It's possible, but you may need to write the software solution for it yourself if you can't find one. (or hire someone to write a driver that will recognize you laptop as a HID)
You can connect the laptop to the computer via a USB A to USB A cable or you can use an ethernet, wifi, or LAN connection. Once connected, your laptop can be used to control your desktop or vice versa using software such as tmux, ssh, or virtual KVM switch software can be used. What I'm thinking is that your pen will be interpreted as a mouse pointer and so the virtual kvm software should be enough to add this 'mouse' to your computer via a connection.

Load the virtual kvm on the laptop first as the 'host' since it is the one hosting the 'mouse'. Then load the...

kedwa30

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
It's possible, but you may need to write the software solution for it yourself if you can't find one. (or hire someone to write a driver that will recognize you laptop as a HID)
You can connect the laptop to the computer via a USB A to USB A cable or you can use an ethernet, wifi, or LAN connection. Once connected, your laptop can be used to control your desktop or vice versa using software such as tmux, ssh, or virtual KVM switch software can be used. What I'm thinking is that your pen will be interpreted as a mouse pointer and so the virtual kvm software should be enough to add this 'mouse' to your computer via a connection.

Load the virtual kvm on the laptop first as the 'host' since it is the one hosting the 'mouse'. Then load the software on the desktop as the client.

Solution

JacobVR

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
I really enjoy using my iPad as an input device in this fashion. It’s great to be able to break away from the mouse and sketch out something quickly by hand without sacrificing the powerful toolset found in Adobe apps. Air Display is well worth the $9.99 download.