Use one M2 SATA and one NVME on same laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mg250

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
LG Gram 2018 has two m2 slots and on the motherboard it clearly says you can use SATA M2 or NVME M2. Laptop comes with M2 SATA and an open M2 slot.
Could I put an M2 NVME in the second slot as drive D. I want to leave the initial Windows and LG installation intact on the M2 SATA but be able to use the speed of something like a Samsung 970.
Or....do I have to just have the Samsung and transfer the data from the SATA? (all m2)
Thanks.

Solution
On my brand new 14Z980 LG Gram I'm currently running the Samsung 970 EVO NVMe with the OEM SATA drive that came with the laptop. So they work together. Getting full PCIe speed on 970 EVO.

Lutfij

Splendid
I would first ask you to give us the details to what the make and model of your existing drive is in your laptop. Often times, in order to meet the price point manufacturers of laptop will bundle lower end SSD's regardless of port style and they often die within a year(since purchase). I would advise that you have the faster drive dealing with your OS, app's and games. The second SSD can act as storage but if that drive is meant to hold onto some critical data, I'd advise that you back it up on a portable storage device.

mg250

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
I did look at it when I had the laptop apart to add memory. It was a Samsung M2 SATA - I don't remember the model. But I know from using it that it's old and slow. Could I use it for data? That mean the laptop is running one m2 NVMe and one m2 SATA. Will it function satisfactorily?

In either case I'll have to clone Windows and the LG software over to the new Samsung 970. Could you explain the best way to clone between m2 drives? I've never done this before

Thank you for your help.

mg250

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
I've already cloned to the m2 NVME and the laptop could not recognize it as NVME as long as there was also a SATA m2 installed. Apparently in this case it's one or the other

Nov 28, 2018
On my brand new 14Z980 LG Gram I'm currently running the Samsung 970 EVO NVMe with the OEM SATA drive that came with the laptop. So they work together. Getting full PCIe speed on 970 EVO.

Reactions: T0msGu1de
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.