Used ATM Machines for Sale on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What's an "ATM machine"? An "Automated teller machine machine"? Is it a machine that makes ATMs?

G

Probably a stolen machine! Seriously, even older ATM's should not be exposed of in the trash!
Anything that can contain data, should be liquidated, save the parts that are harmless..
I can't even believe that a company is allowing such machines on the street, ready to be reverse engineered by a hacker!

gbismack

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
[citation][nom]emoneyco99[/nom]What's an "ATM machine"? An "Automated teller machine machine"? Is it a machine that makes ATMs?[/citation]

No, an ATM machine is where you go to deposit or withdraw ATMs!

AtuBrian

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Choujij[/nom]It's sad when the security in a game console is like 20x times superior than an ATM.[/citation]
+1

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
weird, I've never used a credit card in an ATM. I'm surprised they store CC numbers as well.

Plus, how do you spill "150 feet" of sensitive data all over the floor? WTF?

G

I rather them make them spill out cash then steal someone's number. At least then it would be the bank's problem and not some poor unsuspecting soul..

G

"Plus, how do you spill "150 feet" of sensitive data all over the floor? WTF?"

The article ment they printed out the EPROM data onto paper and layed it out on the floor. Then they look at the data and decide what is a credit card number etc. Credit card numbers follow a certain patten so it would be rather easy to pull out the numbers.

quadibloc

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I'm surprised that an ATM would even store a credit card number for longer than it takes to complete a transaction. Yes, there would be paper audit copies of the transaction slips, but those are picked up when they put money in, aren't they?

Anyways, even without sensitive data, an ATM could be set up to pretend it was still online, and get people's PIN numbers, so besides removing the hard drives, they need to remove the trademarks of whoever owned it.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Wow... I feel sorry for thousands of people who are getting scammed like this.
I know my own card was skimmed... I'm going to try to use cash only in my area (since it was a local shop, but I don't know which).

But to be honest, I'd probably take the momey and run to Cuba myself.

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Actually to have both is not that strange. I have the same type of friends. Helps that I used to work at a tv station but they are people to (well most of them). And yes TV people also have "Normal" friends lol. As for a "Hacker friend" COMON who on this board dosent know several. I think the key was "He had the manual". LOLZ gotta love the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.