Used laptop problems

Aug 4, 2018
Got this Presario cq62 from a friend. Its not working and I need it to start pretty soon. I got a brand new charger for it and plugged it up. It'll register that it's connected to an external power supply then it'll switch to the charging light but it won't come on. Ive been trying to get it to work for about an hour and that's after it charged for about an hour

Solution
Does it do anything at all? Any kind of display on screen? Hard drive activity? Fans come on?

Did this person give it to you with the understanding that it didn't work?

Have you removed the covers on the back to see if there is even a hard drive or memory installed? CMOS battery?

Chances are good on a unit that old the CMOS battery is shot. Chances are also good that the CPU is shot because those Compaq CQ60 and 62 units were WELL known for fan failure and overheating.
Does it do anything at all? Any kind of display on screen? Hard drive activity? Fans come on?

Did this person give it to you with the understanding that it didn't work?

Have you removed the covers on the back to see if there is even a hard drive or memory installed? CMOS battery?

Chances are good on a unit that old the CMOS battery is shot. Chances are also good that the CPU is shot because those Compaq CQ60 and 62 units were WELL known for fan failure and overheating.

Solution

Marcuss_95

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016

He means buy a new computer, your unit is defect or broken

That is not even remotely what I said. So please, don't be misleading users by putting words in my mouth. There are a variety of reasons that could be causing his issues, the least of which is a faulty CPU. We tend to try to eliminate all of the possibilities first, not just say buy a new computer, when we have no actual proof this is what needs to happen.

You may be right, but I have owned and worked on a good many laptops and so far I haven't ever come across one that wouldn't work with the battery removed so long as it was plugged in to AC power and the adapter worked properly.

Not working with a BAD battery installed though, that's a different story. A battery with an internal short might cause the unit to not power on at all.