Useful Software Question..

riser

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Anyone have any software out there that they find useful that they'd recommend using? This is really a general question. I like finding new software that can help me at work and I thought I'd ask if anyone has software they find useful and would recommend.. software outside your normal stuff like - Ghost, Partition Magic, SpyBot/Adaware, Batch Files (unless you have a cool useful one) etc.

Riser

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I like SnagIt it lets you capture screens like print screen does but it lets you select a window in the screen and send it to the clipboard or to a file, but lets you preview the results or edit them before you finish.

A similar program is FastStone Capture, is not as complete as SnagIt but is free.

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Alt+PrintScreen does the same trick. It snapshots the current window, whereas PrintScreen/Shift+PrintScreen does the entire window.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Acronis TrueImage smacks Ghost in the chops.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Yeah but FastStone Capture lets you capture:
a window or and object, a rectangle region, a freehand region, the foreground window, the entire screen, or pick a screen color, then it let's you preview and edit your selection before sending it to a file or the clipboard. It also lets you clear IE records.

Anyway I recommended it because is useful and free, but thanks for your tips also.

mrface

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
dvdshrink for ripping dvds(works with nero in copying too)
dvddecrypter for decrypting dvds
winaviconverter for converting any file to dvd format(or anyformat for that matter)
regscrubxp for registry cleaning
avast for AV software
Cain for password crackers
spybot s&d/adaware for adware/spyware cleaner
wsftp for ftp'ing
firefox for internet
aida32 and everest for system checks

umm thats all i can think of right now.

Remember <font color=blue>flies</font color=blue> lead to <font color=green>diseases</font color=green>, so keep <font color=red>yours</font color=red> closed.
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Psychotic Sociopath.}=-</A>

riser

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Cain & Abel?

Cain sounds like a program I could use at work a lot. I have an XP password cracker and EDR Commander, the latter or which rarely works properly. THe XP Password crack is good, but it's not convenient to use when I'm remote.

Got a website for it? I assume it's something that needs paid for too..

Riser

mrface

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
yeah its cain and abel

<A HREF="http://www.oxid.it/cain.html" target="_new">you can go here i think</A>

(i think thats the page.)

nice little proggie. reads .sam files. its not in OS format( iguess thats what i would call it) like ERD CMDR.

Remember <font color=blue>flies</font color=blue> lead to <font color=green>diseases</font color=green>, so keep <font color=red>yours</font color=red> closed.
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Psychotic Sociopath.}=-</A>