using a netbook as a second screen

swany1422

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I have a laptop and an oldish netbook and was wondering if I could use the netbook as a second screen for my laptop? could I just buy a cable that could connect the two or how would I go about doing that?
Thanks for any help!

G

Depends on your goal. If you want to just use it as a screen, I'm not sure. If you are happy running two computers at once and accessing one from the other, there is a great program called Synergy. I'm using it on my laptop and another computer hooked up to my TV. The way it works is when I move my mouse off the screen on my laptop, synergy sends a signal to the other computer to control the mouse as if I had just moved it from one computer to another. It also captures keyboard input and sends that to the other computer too. This way, it feels like you're controlling two computers with one mouse and one keyboard. Keep in mind that the slave computer will be running on its own, so there's no drag/drop capability to move files and stuff, it just sends keyboard and mouse info.

G

Depends on your goal. If you want to just use it as a screen, I'm not sure. If you are happy running two computers at once and accessing one from the other, there is a great program called Synergy. I'm using it on my laptop and another computer hooked up to my TV. The way it works is when I move my mouse off the screen on my laptop, synergy sends a signal to the other computer to control the mouse as if I had just moved it from one computer to another. It also captures keyboard input and sends that to the other computer too. This way, it feels like you're controlling two computers with one mouse and one keyboard. Keep in mind that the slave computer will be running on its own, so there's no drag/drop capability to move files and stuff, it just sends keyboard and mouse info.