Using a Tablet Can be a Pain in the Neck, Literally

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
So can books: It is why my preferred method of reading is always the computer/laptop. Tablets are too heavy, and books are even heavier, and more flimsy, so I am constantly readjusting the pages. And the worst part, at least with e-ink tablets, is that like books, there is no back-light... I have no use for tablets, or books...

Viva la laptop!

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
backlights are what gives you eyestrain.

you can hold a book comfortably in front of face

maybe you should try it instead of leaning over a book following finger on page

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom]backlights are what gives you eyestrain.you can hold a book comfortably in front of face maybe you should try it instead of leaning over a book following finger on page[/citation]
Eyestrain is a myth.
Not a 1000 textbook.
You try holding a 1000 page textbook with 1 hand so that 1) the light is right and 2) you finger is on the page...
Unless you are a professional weight lifter, I doubt you can do it for more than 10 minutes...

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
no one uses text books these days except for reference and then

you are oviously a child and dont know much about the real world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asthenopia

they rarely make books with that many pages in, e-readers dont have backlights because the glare from the back light can cause eyestrain

if you dont belive me, put your computer screen on max brightness and see how long you last

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
its not the backlight per-se but the difference in illumination between what you are looking at and the surroundings, an e-ink device is at the same illumination level as its surroundings. A laptop is normally a lot brighter, regardless of setting.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Some of us use textbooks for those they have not yet been digitized. We will get to all eBooks eventually, but we are not there yet.

Let me clarify about eyestrain: Anything can give you eyestrain. Eyestrain that is somehow attributed MORE to back lights as opposed to other medium, such as, for example, a simple non-backlit book, is a myth. You ALWAYS need to take breaks from making single focus situations. Just because there is a backlight does not mean it is somehow worse for you than a standard book. If you are experiencing more eyestrain, increase your font size and increase your ambient lighting...

I have heard that myth about eyestrain from people for years. It may have been true back in the days of the CRT, but I have talked with my doctor about it: It is a false attribution to back lighting. It is attributed to staring at the same focal length continuously...

And insulting people by calling them children is quite little of you. I did not insult you. I disagree with your premise. You can choose to engage or not.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Eyestrain is a myth. Not a 1000 textbook.You try holding a 1000 page textbook with 1 hand so that 1) the light is right and 2) you finger is on the page...Unless you are a professional weight lifter, I doubt you can do it for more than 10 minutes...[/citation]
Eyestrain may be a myth (for you, not so for others that actually experience it), but discomfort caused by backlighting is not; it is a fact that staring at a screen that has a higher brightness than the surroundings can fatigue the eyes much faster. A book/e-ink screen use the surrounding light, therefore they are much easier to use on the long run.
For a quick online check, bright LCDs are fine, for hour(s)-long reading... not so.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
And, in the end, it is a matter of personal preference. If one is OK with the bright LCD use, then go for it. Just don't expect everyone to have the same opinion.
Even that suggestion to increase ambient lighting reflects the truth: brighter-than-surroundings screens WILL cause discomfort and increase the eyestrain, hence you are trying to compensate for that by turning your lights on. That, in turn, forces your eye to remain in myosis for a long time.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Eyestrain is a myth. Not a 1000 textbook.You try holding a 1000 page textbook with 1 hand so that 1) the light is right and 2) you finger is on the page...Unless you are a professional weight lifter, I doubt you can do it for more than 10 minutes...[/citation]

dont know about you, but i usually am sitting comfortably when i read, usually elbows are rested. a 1000 page book, i believe that It is close enough to 1000 pages, i know at least 900 and at most 1300. i didn't come into much problem holding that and reading it, because im not reading it in the most uncomfortable possession possible.

eye strain is real, but is mitigated by an lcd, and further by a higher hrz, and a bit more by less back lighting, and reading in a lit room, but its always there. it doesn't alway present as tired eyes, here this is a direct copy paste from wiki

************Asthenopia (aesthenopia) or eye strain is an ophthalmological condition that manifests itself through nonspecific symptoms such as fatigue, pain in or around the eyes, blurred vision, headache and occasional double vision. Symptoms often occur after reading, computer work, or other close activities that involve tedious visual tasks.
When concentrating on a visually intense task, such as continuously focusing on a book or computer monitor, the ciliary muscle tightens. This can cause the eyes to get irritated and uncomfortable. Giving the eyes a chance to focus on a distant object at least once an hour usually alleviates the problem.
A CRT computer monitor with a low refresh rate (

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Some of us use textbooks for those they have not yet been digitized. We will get to all eBooks eventually, but we are not there yet.[/citation]
Remember that thing... invented like 200years ago... that was supposed to go extinct after some innovations like TV and such.... oh yeah.. the RADIO.
It still exists.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom]if you dont belive me, put your computer screen on max brightness and see how long you last[/citation]
My monitor is set to 90 brightness, I can go all day and night with it. But I keep my office brightly lit too.

ivyanev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
For comfortable reading in dark rooms I always use black background and green text, the green being something like #40aa40(rgb).It is actually better in daylight condition too. Max brightness isn't good thing except in direct sunshine.For me standard black on white is really hurting my eyes after 2 hours .

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
should have really stuck around to check my post as over half of it got cut off and i cant remember what i wrote in full... so stupid how the comment system here and on a few other sites i go to works, where they actively kill longer comments because 1 letter is a no use.

Status
Not open for further replies.