Question Using IMAC as a external monitor

May 14, 2020
Hi, I’m trying to connect my Windows laptop to use my IMAC 27” monitor 2012 model as a monitor. I’m told you have to put it in display mode but have not been able to?

May 14, 2020
How are you physically connecting your laptop to the iMac? Do you have the laptop configured (press the right FN key typcally) to display to an external display?
I think that may be part of my issue is the cables I am using. I have tried using a mini display port to mini display port cable from my Dell Latitude E7270 laptop into the back of the IMAC but I don’t think it is compatible. I performed the FN key to extend the displays but didn’t work.
Do you know what cables I should be using?

May 14, 2020
Yeah, I saw that but I think I tried plugging in the mini display cable into a port that isn’t mini display. It was the thunderbolt. I don’t think I have one port like that. I’ve attached a link of a photo that looks like the back of my IMAC. It’s the photo on the right.https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/17248/can-i-use-a-mid-2011-27-inch-imac-thunderbolt-as-a-display-for-a-pc

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop General Discussion 1
Rishonk Laptop General Discussion 2
M Laptop General Discussion 2
D Laptop General Discussion 2
R Laptop General Discussion 1
T Laptop General Discussion 8
D Laptop General Discussion 6
cmcnally112 Laptop General Discussion 1
V Laptop General Discussion 1
D Laptop General Discussion 5
GJG10 Laptop General Discussion 1