Using my dedicated GPU for 4K TV instead of integrated graphics

Jan 29, 2019
Hi,
I have a laptop with an i7-6500U (which comes with HD 520 graphics, I believe) and a 940M. I tried connecting it to my 4K TV, which I use for my PS4, a few days ago, but it was kind of fuzzy and there was obvious lag. The refresh rate was capped at 30hz, however and I thought that might be one of the reasons.

I figured that it might be the screen, and to test it, I tried connecting my old desktop (which has the AMD Radeon HD 7700 for the graphics card) to it. It looked great. Everything was very sharp and there was no lag at all. It was also running at 30hz.

To find out more, I also tried connecting my sister's Acer Nitro 5 (i7-8750h, GTX 1050) to it. It was also very smooth and very clear. It ran at 60hz, and when I reduced it to 30hz, it was laggy, but not exactly the same kind of lag as the one my laptop has... I'm not quite sure how to explain.

But the one thing I did notice was, the display adapter for my sister's laptop, when I hooked it up to the screen, was the GTX 1050, not her integrated graphics. Meanwhile, my display adapter is the Intel HD 520. I understand that the 940M isn't much better, but I'd still like to know if there's a way to use it as the display adapter.

Another question I have is, as my first question might not be possible since the HDMI port on my laptop is probably connected to the integrated graphics, how would my sister's laptop use her 1050 instead of her integrated graphics?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long and messy question.

jojesa

Distinguished
The Acer Nitro 5 it switches GPU automatically depending on the GPU load.
You could change settings on the Nvidia control Panel.
Open Nvidia Control Panel
Click on Handle 3D settings
Under the Global tab, switch from Automatic to the Nvidia graphics.
On the Programs tab you could select which programs use the Intel or Nvidia graphics.
If available, switch PhysX from Auto to Nvidia graphics. Save all changes.

Jan 29, 2019

I tried that earlier. Sadly, it didn't help with the lag. Could it be possible that it did have an effect, but the 940M is too weak to handle 4K?